Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

Your brake pedal kick back against your foot..slowing down..loud

What makes your brake pedal kick back against your foot when slowing down and makes a loud funny noise?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HI there! this sounds like it might be the abs unit working. If the truck was sliding in mud or something this is normal. If not and you were coming to a normal stop, then you need to have it checked out as you likely have a bad wheel speed sensor and it is activating the ABS system. Hope this helps! Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the wheel speed sensor hard to replace? Is there one on each tire?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Depending on which system you have on the truck there can be one on each wheel. I would suggest having the problem diagnosed properly,then determine if you can perform the repair yourself to save some money.
I say this because you will spend more money guessing at the problem then it will likely cost you to have it diagnosed properly. This is the most common problem, but there could also be issues with the control module,wheel bearings,tone rings and wiring. So, it is a fairly complex system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed my wheel barrins in the front of my truck which has the speed sensors connected to them. Could the back wheel sensors affect the braking system in the front? Is the anti lock brake computer related to this?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Was the problem there prior to replacing the front bearings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I replaced the front and rear brakes and still no change. I barely have brakes at all.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
So is the funny noise a buzzing type of sound or more like a banging?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

neither, it's kinda like a squeally, rubbing crunch that's hard to describe. It's like the truck quits trying to slow down and then eventually the rear brakes will start to grab hard.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, I have to ask again, did all of this start prior to doing the brakes or did it start to happen after the brake job.
Aslo, rear disc or drum brakes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before but got worse after rear brake job and front passenger side wheel bearing. Disc brakes.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Boy, it sure sounds like there is some type of problem with the abs happening here. I would recheck and make sure the brake pads are seating properly. If one of those is cocked in the mounting bracket, it can give you a low pedal and the pedal would likely bounce a bit, but I think it is a probably problem with the abs control unit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX several friends tell me it was the anti lock computer which I guess is the same as the abs control unit but I wanted to ask a professional. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome and yes, they are one in the same. Kind of a popular problem with these trucks.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience: 25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.