Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone

I am replacing the front shocks on my 1998 blazer and I can

Customer Question

I am replacing the front shocks on my 1998 blazer and I can not fit ant tools in to get the bolts of, is there a special tool for this job? Also how do you take the old plug out for the tranny filter?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Ja.com

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Raise and support the rear of the vehicle safely using jackstands. Support the rear axle securely using jackstands or a floor jack. The axle must be supported to prevent overextension and damage to the brake lines once the shock is removed.
  2. If equipped, disconnect the automatic level control air lines from the shock absorber.
  3. Remove the shock absorber-to-frame retainers at the top of the shock.
  4. Remove the shock-to-axle retainers at the bottom of the shock.
  5. Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle.

To install:
  1. Position the shock in the vehicle and loosely install the upper mounting fasteners to retain it.
  2. Align the lower-end of the shock absorber with the axle mounting, then loosely install the retainers.
  3. On 1994 models, tighten the upper shock absorber retainers to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm). Then tighten lower shock absorber fastener to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
  4. On 1995 models, tighten the upper shock absorber retainers 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Then tighten the lower shock absorber fastener to 73 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
  5. On 1996-98 models, tighten the upper shock absorber retainers 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Then tighten the lower shock absorber fastener to 62 ft. lbs. (84 Nm).
  6. On 1999 models, tighten the upper shock retainers to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Tighten the lower shock retainers to 62 ft. lbs. (84 Nm) on pick-up and two door utility models and 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) on four door utility models.
  7. If equipped, attach the automatic level control air lines to the shock absorber.
  8. Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Loosen the retainers from the upper shock mount-a backup wrench is usually needed

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Unfasten the lower shock retainer

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Loosen and remove the shock from the lower mount

Refer to the shock absorber testing procedures in the front suspension portion of this guide.

Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the feed back but I see that info was for the rear shocks I need info on how to change the front shocks on the IFS...please help
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
No problem, let me get you this info

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with safety stands.

1. Remove the nut. Hold the shock absorber stem with a wrench while backing the nut off.
  2. Remove the retainer.
  3. Remove the grommet.
  4. Remove the bolts.
5.1. Pull the shock absorber out of the spring from below.
5.2. The lower grommet and the retainer are on the stem.
5.3. Replace the parts as necessary.
  1. Remove the nuts, if damaged or worn.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the retainer and the grommet on the stem. Fully extend the stem.
  2. Install the shock absorber up through the lower control arm and the spring. Insert the stem end through the hole in the upper control arm frame bracket.
  3. Install the grommet to the stem.
  4. Install the retainer to the stem. NOTICE: Always use the correct fastener in the proper location. When you replace a fastener, use ONLY the exact part number for that application. The manufacturer will call out those fasteners that require a replacement after removal. The manufacturer will also call out the fasteners that require thread lockers or thread sealant. UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, do not use supplemental coatings (paints, greases, or other corrosion inhibitors) on threaded fasteners or fastener joint interfaces. Generally, such coatings adversely affect the fastener torque and joint clamping force, and may damage the fastener. When you install fasteners, use the correct tightening sequence and specifications. Following these instructions can help you avoid damage to parts and systems.
  5. Install the nut. Tighten Tighten the nut to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.) , while holding the stem with a wrench.
  6. Install new nuts, if needed. NOTICE: Always use the correct fastener in the proper location. When you replace a fastener, use ONLY the exact part number for that application. The manufacturer will call out those fasteners that require a replacement after removal. The manufacturer will also call out the fasteners that require thread lockers or thread sealant. UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, do not use supplemental coatings (paints, greases, or other corrosion inhibitors) on threaded fasteners or fastener joint interfaces. Generally, such coatings adversely affect the fastener torque and joint clamping force, and may damage the fastener. When you install fasteners, use the correct tightening sequence and specifications. Following these instructions can help you avoid damage to parts and systems.
  7. Install the bolts through the pivot holes to the lower control arm holes.
    • Tighten the bolts to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Lower the vehicle.

Edited by Tim West on 10/18/2009 at 1:53 PM EST