Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

how do I remove the front rotor on 1998 chevy k2500 to have

Customer Question

how do I remove the front rotor on 1998 chevy k2500 to have it turned, before I put on the new pads ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Hi and hanks for your quesion! Here is the information you asked for. Let me know if your GVW is more than 8600. Ken
Brake Rotor Replacement (K Models Below 8600 GVW)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with suitable safety stands.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Remove the brake caliper.
    Object Number: 157043  Size: SH

3. Remove the rotor.
  4. Inspect all of the parts. Replace the parts as necessary.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 157043  Size: SH

1. Install the rotor to the hub and bearing assembly.
  2. Install the brake caliper.Install the tire and wheel assembly. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Depress the brake pedal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
gvw above 8600
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Ok let me find that for you, Ken
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Brake Rotor Replacement (K Models 8600 GVW and Above)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. .
    Object Number: 157043  Size: SH

3. Remove the nut.

4. Object Number: 156931  Size: MH

5. Remove the hub/rotor retaining bolts.
  6. Remove the rotor assembly.
  7. Inspect all of the parts. Replace the parts as necessary.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 157043  Size: SH

1. Install the hub/rotor to the hub and bearing assembly.

2. Object Number: 157034  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the rotor and hub assembly to the axle.
  4. Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 180 N·m (133 lb ft).
    Tighten the nut to 225 N·m (165 lb ft).

5. Install the brake caliper.
  6. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Lower the vehicle.Depress the brake pedal.
.
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

The rotors are pressed on to th hub on that system. You may have to take them to a shop to have them pressed off and on. If they are warped you should replace them, not turn them. They seem to alway warp again soon! If they are not warped, scuff them up with some sand paper and just put new pads on. Ken

Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
YOu do not need to unbolt the brake hoses. Just swing the calipers out of your way. Ken
Brake Caliper Replacement (Front Bendix)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove two-thirds of the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Support the vehicle with safety stands.
  4. Mark the relationship between the wheel and the hub.
  5. Remove the tire and the wheel. Object Number: 156331  Size: SH

6. Position a C-clamp and tighten until the piston bottoms in the bore.
  7. Remove the C-clamp.
  8. Remove the brake hose.

9. Object Number: 156332  Size: SH

10. Remove the bolt (2).

11. Object Number: 156334  Size: SH

12. Remove the support key and the spring using a brass punch and a hammer to drive out the support key.
  13. Remove the caliper assembly.
  14. Inspect the inside of the caliper assembly for signs of fluid leakage. Use a wire brush to remove any corrosion from the machined surfaces of the anchor plate and the caliper.

Installation Procedure

1. Lubricate the caliper and the anchor plate sliding surfaces with Shell Aeroshell® #5 or the equivalent.
  2. Install the caliper assembly.
  3. Notice: Make sure the brake hose is not twisted or kinked after installation. Damage to the hose could result.

Notice: Do not use NEVER SEIZE type products on the caliper V-ways and anchor plate guide way surfaces. These products are not lubricants and result in high caliper slide forces which can cause increased wear of the brake pads.

Object Number: 156336  Size: SH

4. Install the spring and the support key using a brass punch and a hammer to drive the support key into place.

5. Object Number: 156332  Size: SH

6. Install the caliper lock mounting bolt (2). The boss on the bolt must fit into the circular cutout in the key.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

8. Install the brake hose.
  9. Tighten
    Tighten the brake hose bolt to 45 N·m (33 lb ft).

10. Bleed the brake system. Install the tire and the wheel. Refer to Wheel Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  11. Lower the vehicle.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Disc Brake Pads Replacement (Front Bendix)

Linings

The use of GM brake lining material will help to maintain a balance between the front and the rear brake performance. In addition, the use of GM brake lining material will provide the proper brake balance for the purposes of stopping distance and control over the full range of operating conditions. The installation of any front or rear lining material with a performance different from that of the suggested GM replacement parts for this vehicle may change the intended brake balance of this vehicle.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the caliper. Do not disconnect the brake hose as in Caliper.

2. Object Number: 156335  Size: SH

3. Suspend the caliper.
  4. Notice: Do not allow calipers to hang from the flexible hoses. Doing so can damage the hoses.

Object Number: 156330  Size: SH

5. Remove the inboard lining.
  6. Remove the outboard lining.
  7. Inspect the caliper assembly for signs of fluid leakage. Use a wire brush to remove any corrosion from the machined surfaces of the steering knuckle and the caliper.

Installation Procedure

1. Lubricate the caliper and the steering knuckle, or support, sliding surfaces and the spring with Shell Aeroshell® #5 or the equivalent.

2. Object Number: 156338  Size: SH

3. Place the new pad in a vise.

4. Object Number: 156341  Size: SH

5. Compress the vise as needed to obtain a secure fit between the outer brake pad and the caliper.

6. Object Number: 156343  Size: SH

7. Install the outer brake pad (3) onto the caliper (1).
  8. If it is necessary use a C-clamp to install the pad onto the caliper.
    Do not allow the C-clamp to come into contact with the lining.
    Insert a used brake pad between the C-clamp and the new brake lining.

Object Number: 156344  Size: SH

9. File the leading edge of the brake pad tang to aid in the installation of the brake pad to the caliper.
  10. Install the caliper. Pump the brakes until the brake pedal is firm before moving the vehicle. Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder after pumping the brakes.
.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Let me know if you need more info, Thank You Ken