Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2000 chevy express 1500 what are the oil pan bolt torque values?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, specs are below for engines offered in the express 1500 van:

4.3L :

Install the oil pan bolts, nuts and reinforcements. Torque bolts in sequence to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

4.8L, 5.3L & 6.0L Engines:

Snug the lower bellhousing bolt finger-tight. Do not over tighten. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Tighten the bellhousing bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Transmission-to-oil pan bolts and tighten to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm)

5.0L & 5.7L Engines:

Oil pan bolts, nuts and reinforcements. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Eric, thanks for the response. Just to establish a baseline ... presume I'm a complete and total idiot. Why? I'm looking at it thinking "that is the most accessible oil pan I've ever seen..." Why? Because it is the TRANS Pan! You just CAN'T get good clients anymore.

The two lines that go into the top of the trans on the passengers side, in and out to the radiator? The top line appears to be the one that is leaking oil. It looks like motor oil, smells and tastes like motor oil. Why would a line at the trans be leaking motor oil?

Can I fix it, or is it indicative of a real problem?

Idiot Joe.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, trans line would not be leaking engine oil, and correct, they go to trans cooler in the radiator. Will be a little difficult, but you need to trace the lines going forward and find the source of the oil leak that is getting on the lines and running back towards transmission. you may have a valve cover gasket leaking oil onto trans lines

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

O.K., thanks, I'll go look.

Oil pan for trans pan. Thats gotta be good for a laugh.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Believe me, dont feel bad. I have seen professional techs make alot worse mistakes. happens to all of us at some point.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Wadda guy, wadda pal, wadda chum.

O.K., back of the engine, under distributor is a black "sensor" (switch/unit what do I know) about 2 1/2" long and about 3/4" wide, with a silver hexagonal base, obviously, for the wrench. Leaking like a sieve.

Oil pressure sensor?

Oil pressure sending unit?

Uhmmmm...?

Since I'm probably going to have to ask for it by name when I get a new one, gotta name for me ? Let me re-frase that ... gotta probable name for this part?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

That is the oil pressure sensor, and is known for leaking. make sure they give you a new o-ring with it. Believe they run around $20 for the sensor

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Wadda guy, wadda pal, wadda chum.

22.95 at the friendly local auto parts store. on my way. thanks a bunch.

have a beer on me.

Idiot Joe.