Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,

2002 Chevrolet: rear axle

Customer Question

Trying to remove rear axle shaft on a 2002 Chevrolet Sivarado Z71 4x4 pickup. I have removed the differential cover and the seperating pin. What I need to know is what else do I have to remove the C waher.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

If you have already removed the center pin then slightly push the axle in then remove the "C" clip with a magnet and then the axle will pull right out if you have everything else disconnected by the wheel already.

If you need further assistance or instructions let me know and I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Joe there is a block and some other mechanisim that wont allow me to remove the C clip. This is different have you come across anything like this? I already did what you recomended. I can see the clip and have tried to push it out but cant the block wont allow it.
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

ok, I think you have a limited slip rear end.

What size rear end is it?

8.6",9.50",9.75",10.50",or 11.00"

I think you either have the 8.6" or the 9.5" rear end, is this all stock? or has it been mod with an aftermarket locker?

does your axle have the c-clips or does the axle have a plate that mounts to the axle housing by the rotor/drum?

Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.
  1. On axles with a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.

Rotate the carrier to the other side then rotate the lock with a screwdriver then remove the lock.

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 10/13/2009 at 1:10 AM EST