BigBlock434
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified and 100% General Motors trained in all fields
10665789

Program a pk3 key for a 2003 chevy venture

Customer Question

program a pk3 key for a 2003 chevy venture
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
  1. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  2. Remove the BCM PRGRM fuse from the fuse block.
  3. Close all of the doors.
  4. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
  5. Within one second, perform the following actions: Turn the key to ACC, then to OFF, then to ACC.
  6. If you only do the 1st step, then the BCM will give feedback indicating the actions so far are incorrect. To program the transmitter, you must do step 5 instead.
  7. Open and then close any vehicle door. The BCM will chime in order to confirm that the programming mode has been entered.
  8. Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for approximately 14 seconds . IMPORTANT: After approximately 3-5 seconds the BCM will chime once to confirm that the programming has been completed for that transmitter.
  9. Repeat the previous step in order to program each additional transmitter.
  10. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  11. Install the BCM PRGRM fuse into the fuse block.
  12. Operate the functions of each transmitter in order to verify correct system operation.

The BCM PRGRM fuse is located in the fuse box to the right of the dashboard (open passenger's door to access)graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we are not programming a transmittert we only need to program a new key.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Oooops. Sorry about that!

ADDING KEYS (DOMESTIC)

IMPORTANT:

• You may add up to 10 additional master keys or valet keys using this procedure when a learned master key is available.
  • This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
  • The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
  • If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.
  1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did this and the key did not work.the key was cut at a gm dealer.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

That is the only procedure provided by GM to program a key by the customer, the other procedures require access to a scan-tool that can access the VTD computer. Let me opt-out of this question, and forward you to another Tech that may be able to better assist you. Sit tight one sec, someone will be right with you. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are there differant keys that can be cut . one that start and one that turn on power and nothing else
Expert:  BigBlock434 replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried to perform the key relearn again? If this won't work you will have to do a 30 minute relearn.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the master key works .the new key will not program to start the van but works the acc power.is there a master key and a valet key that can be cut.could we of got a valet key instead of a master .
No the key is just not responding to the program. Try it again and if that doesn't work I am sending you the 30 minute relearn. Just remember to hook up a battery charger on low setting before you do this and keep charger on the whole time you program. Follow each step and don't get in a hurry.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

The passkey III (PK3) keys
The theft deterrent control module
The PCM, see important above

Important: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49 or BAE).

If replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 30-minute relearn procedure.

1. With a passkey III key (Black), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
  5. Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.