GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500: crank..interior lights..horn, and wipers

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500, 4.8 engine,XXXXX
Will not crank or start, windows won't work; door locks won't work, interior lights and hazards won't work. Only thing working are dash lite, headlites, horn, and wipers.

Battery voltage was reading 10.3, replaced the battery, have continuing issue. Running fine on Monday, 10/5/09, tried to remote start Tuesday (10/6) and only clicked - not start. At that point, it would not crank and everything stopped working.

All fuses, relays have been checked and/or replaced. What's wrong?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for asking your question. I look forward to helping you fix your vehicle.

I will try my best to help you and in order to do that, I need you to describe the issue in as much detail because I only know as much about your vehicle as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Please include all the small details that may seem insignificant such as warning light, codes that you have scanned and how this started. I will also try my hardest to help you avoid a dealer or shop, but with the modern vehicles an electronics, there may come a point that we cannot avoid this, and if that is the case, I will tell this.

My goal is your satisfaction and I ask that you not accept unless you are satisfied, but if you are satisfied, please accept so I can receive credit for my work and time. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and bonuses are always welcomed.

Please feel free to reply as needed.

Have you checked the battery junction box at the firewall on the passengers side for loose connections? Has the fuse block been wet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vehicle was running on Monday nite, without problems, other than needing an oil change (notice appeared), on Tuesday I attempted to start with remote and it would not start, tried the key and still would not start. I tried to jump start, no change. We hooked the code reader up, only code is "error", it will not connect to the computer. That was when I discovered no interior lights, no hazard lights, no door locks, etc. Battery and key pad are good - only other message is "serviceXXXXXquot; and now "check engine lite is on" - the dash lights, except for check engine light, are delayed from turning the key on, unless you move the key to the 'start' position, then the lights come on instantly.
What code is set now that is causing the check engine light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fuse box did not been wet, everything is tight.

Code reader will NOT read the codes, states "error"

Please ask specific questions so we can provide you with more information. Read all our input so far.

Ok, there has to be a poor connection somewhere. If not the battery positive, how about the negative cables and terminals to the chassis, engine and body?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All connections are good, we have gone over everything - no loose connections, bad fuses or relays. We have over 25 years of experience with cars and covered all the basics - could it be the computer itself?
That is the next logical choice if all the connections are good and considering the lack of communications. I would look at the BCM first as it is the Power mode master.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the BCM located?
The BCM is under the dash, left side of the steering column. I has several square connectors going into it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it the module with the circuit breakers in it?
No behind the fuse block .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are 2 boxes behind the fuse box - part#P/N 25823559, and part#GM24241970 which one?
Sorry for the delay. Old body style or new?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
New

I thought so.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX one of the two parts we pulled out - is there any way to test it?

TO properly test you need a scan tool and codes to follow. There is no one individual test that we can perform. Often it is a case of testing all the outside stuff and if it all passes, then the module is the issue. Trust me, this makes diagnosis of the new electronic systems really fun, and I am half bald to prove it.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for your efforts.