Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

2002 avalanche 1500: upper ball joint..chevy

Customer Question

How do change upper ball joint on chevy 2002 avalanche 1500? Can you press out old joint?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
the upper ball joint is part of the upper control arm and should be changed as one peice..some aftermarket places may list an upperball joint seperate but you realy need to change that with the upper control arm..they say changing just the upper ball joint will and could comprimise the intergirty of the upper control arm.and could become unsafe.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't agree with you, because I twisted wrenches for a living awhile ago and we replaced things that GM said you couldn't do, I was certified by GM, and things worked just fine. Now that I'm retired I can't really go to chevy garage due to the dollar amount they, you, charge. But I will do as you say and order a control arm and install. thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 7 years ago.
i agree with you.i can send my kids threw college with all the ball joints i have changed..but when they went with that little light weight upper a-arm is when the upper ball joints became part of the arm..there isnt even a labor op for it in alldata.and GM SI information inhouse states must be changed with the upper a-arm.even call gm they do not sell just an upperball joint.