Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

96 Chevrolet Lumina: the check engine light stays on

I have a 96 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 and the check engine light stays on. The code I get is P1406. I have replaced the EGR Valve, had a B44 flush on the intake. What should I check next to eliminate this problem????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok.that code is coming up because the egr pindle position is not reading 0% at idle or when it is supposed to be closed.with a scan tool we need to know what the postion is of the egr valve at idle with the engine running..is it 0 %...or more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is 0%
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok..do you have a scan tool and a multimeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a scan tool but don't have a multimeter
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok with the scan tool key on engine off increment the egr open 30% 50% ect..see if the actual position matches the desired positions.then put it to 0% and see if it matches desired v/s actual position
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At work now and not able to do this task at this time

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok print out this flow chart and follow it and it will lead to your problem ok?
Notes

EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit (continued)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The PCM monitors the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve pintle position input to ensure that the valve responds properly to commands from the PCM and to detect a fault if the pintle position sensor and control circuits are open or shorted. If the PCM detects a pintle position signal voltage outside the normal range of the pintle position sensor, or a signal voltage that is not within a tolerance considered acceptable for proper EGR system operation, the PCM will set DTC P1406.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• EGR Feedback is less than 0.14 volt at any time.

OR

• EGR Feedback is 0.4 volt greater or less than the EGR Closed Valve Pintle Position when the Desired EGR Pos is commanded to 0%.

OR

• Actual EGR Pos is 20% greater or less than the Desired EGR Pos.
  • Any of the above conditions present for longer than 20 seconds.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think the catalytic converter could be causing this problem??
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
usually the cats acting up cause no power or bogging when accelerationg..for this code its been either a egr valve..plugged small hole with carbon crap where you use a wire or coat hanger to clean out the hole.and a few needed the computers reprogramed with updated calibrations.but it all depends on where you end up on that flow chat..please print it out soon..the links are times to expire
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech