BigBlock434
BigBlock434, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified and 100% General Motors trained in all fields
10665789

1994 chevy suburban brake light s dont work.

Customer Question

1994 chevy suburban brake light s don't work. bulbs and fuses good, replaced brake and cycled it two times and on the third cycle brake lights quite working again
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BigBlock434 replied 5 years ago.
What part have you replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, replaced the brake switch, fuse and bulbs

I have had this problem before. You need to make sure the switch is locked on the tie bar(rod that the pedal assy goes thru) and make sure it in place on the pedal, then depress pedal and hold at the same time pull back on the switch to set it in place.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried your suggestion before you suggested it. didn't help, still no brake lights. the switch goes on the tie bar rod and snaps down and then there is a spring clip that locks it on. with the double lock it can't be loose.

Then have you checked for power and ground? Have you made sure your switch is not defective?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no brake lights with the old switch, replaced it with a new one, pressed the brake pedal once and the brake lights worked, pressed it a second time and they worked, pressed it a third time and before I could release the pedal they stopped working.
I understand all that, What i'm trying to do is search one at a time till we find the problem to your lights. If the switch is good and adjusted/installed correctly and if all wiring and bulbs are good then we should have light. We don't so lets break it down untill we find the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what your looking for from me. I cycled the switch three times before I installed it and it worked fine. I then installed it as I described in my last reply and on the third try it stopped working and I had no brake lights again. nothing to adjust and only one way to install it. I'm having a hard time understanding how a brakes switch that is nothing more than five breaker points can even go bad!
Have tried jumping the wires on the switch to see if the brake lights work? You do know the wiring to the brake lights go thru the turn signal switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both turn signals work and the cruise control works. also the wipers also work, so I'm assuming turn signal stalk is working ok. no I haven't tried to jumper it. what color is the brake lights? can try that tommorow. would using the tilt steering wear out or chafe the harness in the steering column? I just purchased this truck for a winter vehicle, I live where 200 inches of snow in winter is normal, trying to get save the life of my 2000 super duty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to try that tommorow. I do know the hazard flashers do work. so that means everything except the brake lights work, which begs my previous question as to how a simple breaker point switch can go bad? I'm going to assume then that what is probably happening is that something is shorting out and tripping a relay when the pedal is engaged. next question would be how take apart the steering coulumn?
Are you asking for information on how to replace the turn signal switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no! I solved the problem without you, Thanks. I'm done
Ok