Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2002 Chevy Cavalier: it to replace rear sensor..special tools

How hard is it to replace rear sensor in a 2002 Chevy Cavalier? Any special tools? Time consuming? Any info would be appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
which rear sensor? ABS ?and if so which side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is the sensor the the ABS. I believe it is the drivers side, but not 100% since hubby didn't tell me that before he left for work. So if you need the exact side could you just give me some general information regarding this? Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok here yah go to change it..it allpys the same to either side you do..both sides come apart the same..the sensor is part of the complete hub/bearing assembly..this is how to change it..make sure you print this out as soon as you can..the pictures time out in a short amount of time..Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  • Remove the tire and wheel assemblies. Notice: Do not hammer on brake drum as damage to the bearing could result.
  • Remove the brake drum.
  • Disconnect the rear ABS wheel speed sensor wire connector.
    1. Remove the hub and bearing assembly (4) from the axle (2). The top rear attaching bolt (5) and nut (1) will not clear the brake shoe (3) when removing the hub and bearing assembly. Partially remove the hub and bearing assembly prior to removing this bolt.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precaution.

1. Install the hub and bearing assembly (4). Position the top rear attaching bolt (5) in the hub and bearing assembly prior to the installation in the axle assembly (2). Tighten the hub and bearing to axle bolts to 60 Nm (44 ft. lbs.).
    2. Connect the rear ABS wheel speed sensor wire connector.
    3. Install the brake drum.
    4. Install the tire and wheel assemblies.
    5. Lower the vehicle.
    Gary, Chevy Technician
    Experience: 15 years GM master tech