roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

95 impala ss. Hard to start. when it starts, has rich fuel smell.

Customer Question

95 impala ss. Hard to start. when it starts, has rich fuel smell. Then starts ok after engines warms. Has LT-1 350/5.7 engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 7 years ago.
Hi, the first item I would check for this problem is the coolant sensor.If the sensor is telling the PCM that it colder then it actually is ,the fuel mixture would be to rich,and cause a hard start. You can connect a scan tool and check the readings when the car is cold,the ECT reading and the outside temerature shoud be within a few degress of each other.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I replaced a sensor on the lower right side of the water pump. Are there any others that I need to check?

That is the sensor I was reffering to. You can check it and the intake air sensor,located in the air cleaner,using an ohmeter. Both sensors should be close to the same temp,and ohm reading should be equal on an engine that has been left overnight.

Here is the temp/ohm chart that you cause for a test if you dnt have a scan tool avalable to check this.