JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

how do I set timing. I have 95 chevy blazer lt. 4.3 vortec.

how do I set timing. I have '95 chevy blazer lt. 4.3 vortec. Cannot get truck to start. Was told timing was not set correctly
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.
Distributor Ignition (DI) System
Notes

Distributor Ignition (DI) Timing Mark

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Engine Firing Order

WARNING: To prevent possible personal injury from a moving vehicle or operating engine do the following before performing the checks:

• Engage the parking brake and block the wheels.
  • Place the transmission is neutral .

1. Refer to the important engine information label located in the engine compartment on the label.
  2. Put the Ignition Control (IC) system in the bypass mode by disconnecting the "set timing" connector. This is a single wire sealed connector that has a tan with black stripe lead. The location of the "set timing" connector with a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controller is near the PCM connectors in the passenger compartment.
  3. With the ignition switch "OFF," connect the pickup lead of the timing light to the number one spark plug. Use a jumper lead between the wire and plug or an inductive type pickup. NOTE : DO NOT pierce the wire or attempt to insert a wire between the boot and the wire. Connect the timing light power leads according to manufacturer's instructions.
  4. Start the engine, and aim the timing light at the timing mark. The line on the balancer or pulley will line up at the timing mark. The timing specification is 0°BTDC. If a change is necessary, loosen the distributor hold-down clamp bolt at the base of the distributor. While observing the mark with the timing light, slightly rotate the distributor until the line indicates the correct timing. Tighten the hold-down bolt, and recheck the timing.
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can not start truck. Where does rotor need to point on distributor cap? at top dead center
at number one the white dot in the picgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But I still can not start motor how do I apply your infromation now?

is it getting spark and fuel and turning over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes to all 3 questions. I took distributor out again, but cannot figure out where to point rotor on distributor cap.
with the #1 cylinder at tdc have the rotor pointing to #1 on the dist cap