Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

how to replace a brake light switch on a 1996 chevy silverado

Customer Question

how to replace a brake light switch on a 1996 chevy silverado 2500 i dont know how to get to it with the brackets that dont come off
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

it is hard,,but you will need to work around the brackets

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

CAUTION: Before removing or installing any electrical unit or when a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with "live" exposed electrical terminals, disconnect the negative battery cable to help prevent personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or components. Unless instructed otherwise, the ignition switch must be in the "OFF" or "LOCK" position .

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR.
  3. Remove the pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin. Use snap ring pliers.
  4. Unsnap the stoplamp switch from the pushrod.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch.

1. Connect the electrical connector to the stoplamp switch.
  2. Snap the stoplamp switch onto the pushrod.
  3. Install the pushrod retainer on the brake pedal pin. Use an 11 mm (7/16 inch) socket in order to push a new clip onto the pin.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.
  5. Enable the SIR.