Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Hi, I have a 1999 chevy tahoe and the rear AC stopped working.The

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1999 chevy tahoe and the rear AC stopped working.The fuses all seem to be in good shape.Where should I start looking now?.Email me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX THANKS TERRY
Category: Chevy
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 5 years ago.

Is it that the AC is not cold or is the fan not blowing the air out?

Please let me know...

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan or switch doe's nothing , but AC IN FRONT WORKS FINE

What I would like you to do is see if you can locate the aux.cooling fan relay in the the fuse block under the hood.

Once you find the relay, with the key in the ignition in the run position, turn the rear blower on and remove the aux. relay. When you plug it back into the fuse block, does it click?

Please let me know...Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, this is correct
It does click?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I started engine turned AC on in front and rear, removed AC delay box or fuse andput it back in. The AC pump will click

The relay that I am looking to pull is the aux. relay...

This relay controls power to the rear blower motor. If you can't find this relay, pull the 30amp fuse to the rear blower motor and when you put it back in, listen to see if one of the relays clicks..

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pulled aux. relay fuse .It looks like asmall square box with 4 prongs on plug end.When I pluged it back in ,the AC PUMP CLICKS. i THEN REMOVED BLOWER FUSE 50 AMP AND WHEN i PLUG IT BACK IN i HEAR NOTHING, no clicks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I replace both parts

Please don't replace anything yet. These steps were actually looking for a bad rear blower motor.

Are you up to the task of taking apart the rear trim panels to gain access to the rear blower motor?

Please let me know....

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THIS i am not to sure about,do you think it could be a motor

The most likely cause is the motor. But without testing, I hate to guess...

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I took a test light and checked all fuses to AC system,all are ok. I then took test light and tested allterminals of aux. relay switch and all sides of terminals light up. Ithenturned AC on in front ,front ac works fine .I then turned on back and strated hearing a clicking sound in right rear pannel of cargo area. The ac in rear still not working . Do you have any idea what that clicking sound could be comming from in rear cargo area on right side under right side pannel. I am willing to pay you more money , for any infomation that might help me.
Thank You Terry K.

Sorry for the delay, kids drug me away.....

First, more $ is not even an issue. That is why I haven't sent you an answer for you to accept, we don't yet know what the fix is..... My goal is to get your truck fixed.

I am really leaning towards a failed blower motor. There are not many things in the right rear other than that.

If I can get you to pull apart the trim panels in the right rear, we can get testing the motor..

Please let me know if you want to take this next step...

Thanks, Carguyjosh