Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

How do you remove a 2003 Chevy Impala radio?

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Here are directions

With the dashboard facia pulled off you should now see 3 screws holding the factory radio in place. Undo those and gently remove the radio. There are three cords entering the back of the radio, the grey one is the antenna, pull it straight out. The other two are the factory harness, they are VERY tough to get out. Push down on the tab to release the harness plug and pull straight back. You may need a flathead screwdriver to help push the harness plug out of the back of the radio.

Edited by eric on 10/1/2009 at 3:14 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Eric, Say all things go well, and I remove the IP successfully, and remove the old radio. Once I install the new radio, will I have to reset anything electronic? Remember this is the same type of radio out of another 2003 Chevy Impala
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

The radios have the vehicle's VIN number programmed into, so you will have to have that programmed into it. That can only be done with a GM scanner. Should cost 1/2 hour labor for dealership to do this.

The radio looks for the vin number on the cars comm line and compares it to the stored one. If it does not match, it locks up.

Radio Setup

To setup a new radio for the vehicle, complete the setup procedure under the Special Functions menu of the scan tool. Cycle the ignition. Setup is complete.

Important: The Radio Setup option does not contain a submenu. Radio Setup will configure the following systems:

Steering wheel controls
Learn VIN
Class 2 radio messages
Country Code
Chime Volume
Chime Level
12/24 Hour Clock