JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I HAVE A 1995 CHEVROLET K1500 Z71, I HAD THE REAR BRAKE LINE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1995 CHEVROLET K1500 Z71, I HAD THE REAR BRAKE LINE ROT OUT SO I REPLACED THE BROKEN SECTION, NOW MY BRAKE LIGHT IS ON AND I WAS UNABLE TO GET THE REAR BRAKES TO BLEED OUT, WHEN I BROKE THE BLEEDER LOOSE I ONLY GOT A TINY BIT OF FLUID TO COME OUT, MOST LIKELY WHAT WAS IN THE WHEEL CYLINDER. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET THIS BLEAD OUT PROPERLY. HAS A KELSEY HAYES ABS MODULE, NO PROPORTIONING VALVE THAT I CAN SEE. THANKS!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 7 years ago.

I would perform a full bleed procedure and see where your at

Manual Bleeding
Notes

TWO PERSON PROCEDURE (PREFERRED)
Gravity and vacuum bleeding are not recommended for this ABS system.

PROCEDURE

1. Raise the vehicle to gain access to the system bleed screws. Install clear tubing on the bleed screws so that air bubbles in the fluid can be seen. NOTE: Never pump the brake pedal as fluid cavitation may occur.
  2. Begin by bleeding the system at the right rear wheel, then the left rear, right front and left front.
  3. Open one bleed screw at a time 1/2 to 1 full turn.
  4. Slowly depress the brake pedal until it reaches its full travel and hold until the bleed screw has been tightened. Release the brake pedal and wait 10-15 seconds for the master cylinder to return to the home position. NOTE: Repeat steps 1 through 4 until approximately 1 pint of brake fluid has been bled from each wheel. Clean brake fluid should be present at each of the wheel bleed screws. Check the master cylinder fluid level every 4 to 6 strokes of the brake pedal to avoid running the system dry.
  5. After bleeding all four wheels, use a Tech 1 Scan tool to run 4 functional tests while applying the brake pedal firmly.
  6. Rebleed all four wheels using steps 1 through 4 to remove the remaining air from the brake system.
  7. Evaluate the brake pedal feel before attempting to drive the vehicle and rebleed as many times as necessary to obtain appropriate pedal feel.