Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do i replace the rear window motor in a 1990 Chevrolet Suburban

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
welcome to just answer i will be assisting i have to gather the data to best help you so be paitent i will be with you in a few moments
Expert:  cartech replied 5 years ago.
sorry im not going to be able to assist you one of the other techs will be with you shortly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not gotten any help so far. I am going to cover the back end in plastic for the time being. somehow i need to get the glass up to get to the motor.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

this may help you

thanks

Rear Side Door Power Window Regulator and Motor

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

R/V Series

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

FIG : Fig. 1: Rear side window power regulator-R/V Series

image

1. Remove the door trim panel.
  2. Remove the window glass as described above.
  3. Remove the regulator-to-door panel attaching bolts.
  4. Disconnect the harness from the regulator.
  5. Remove the regulator assembly through the access hole in the door.

CAUTION The next step must be performed when the regulator is removed from the door. The regulator lift arms are under tension from the counterbalance spring and can cause serious injury if the motor is removed without locking the sector gear in position.

1. Drill a hole through the regulator sector gear and back plate. DO NOT drill a hole closer than 1 / 2 in. (13mm) to the edge of the sector gear or back plate. Install a pan head sheet metal tapping screw (No. 10-12× 3 / 4 in.) in the drilled hole to lock the sector gear in position.
  2. Remove the motor-to-regulator attaching screws and remove the motor from the regulator.

To install:

1. Prior to installation, lubricate the motor drive gear and regulator sector teeth.
  2. Install the motor to the regulator. Make sure the motor and sector gear teeth mesh properly before installing the retaining screws.
  3. Remove the screw locking the sector gear in the fixed position.
  4. Reposition the motor in the door and install the wiring connector.
  5. Attach the regulator to the door.
  6. The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.

C/K Series

See Figure 2

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the door trim panel.

FIG : Fig. 2: Rear door window regulator-C/K Series

image

1. Remove the water deflector by peeling it back.
  2. Disconnect the door lock rods at the module.
  3. Loosen the upper run channel bolt.
  4. Move the run channel away from the glass.
  5. Pull the wiring harness towards the door to reach the connector. Remove the boot from the wiring and disconnect the harness at the door hinge pillar.
  6. Remove the module and window assembly from the door frame by tilting it and lowering it from the door.
  7. Fold back the tab on the channel and slide the glass out.
  8. On trucks with power components, drill out the rivets from the inner handle housing.
  9. Drill out the regulator assembly rivets.
  10. Remove the regulator/motor assembly.

1. Install a pan head sheet metal tapping screw through the sector gear and backing plate in the hole provided, to lock the sector gear in position.
  2. Drill out the motor-to-regulator attaching rivets and remove the motor from the regulator.

To install:

2. Install the motor to the regulator. Make sure the motor and sector gear teeth mesh properly before installing the replacement attaching bolts and nuts.
  4. Reposition the motor/regulator in the door and install the wiring connector.
  5. Attach the regulator to the door.
  6. Slide the glass out into the channel and fold over the tab.
  7. Fit the glass into the rear channel in the door, then, while pulling the channel towards the glass, fit the glass into the front run channel.
  8. Install the boot from the wiring and connect the harness at the door hinge pillar.
  9. Install the lower run channel bolt.
  10. Install the door lock rods at the module.
  11. Install the module panel screws, starting at the top left, then the top right.
  12. Install the water deflector.
  13. Tighten the upper run channel bolt.
  14. Install the trim panel on the door.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was explaning the problem to a friend of mine and he suggested thhat we get help from a friend of his. With his help we had the old motor out and the new motor installen in about 1/2 hour yesterday evening.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

great

glad you got it

thanks for useing justanswer