JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

How to get the engine out of a 1999 s10 blazer

how to get the engine out of a 1999 s10 blazer
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.
Removal
Notes

Notice: If the engine is damaged internally and a new engine assembly is installed in the vehicle, ensure that all foreign material is flushed out of the cooling system. You must also flush out the oil cooler system. Failure to rid the oil cooler system of debris can result in engine damage.

• Tools Required
  • J 41427 Engine Lift Bracket

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Replacement in Starting and Charging.
  2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  3. Remove the underbody shields.
  4. Remove the braces from the engine to the transmission (manual transmission only). Refer to Transmission Replacement in Transmission and Drivetrain.
  5. Remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifolds. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Pipe Replacement in Exhaust System.
  6. Disconnect the oil cooler pipes (RWD vehicle). Refer to Engine Oil Cooler Line Replacement (RWD) in Cooling System.
  7. Disconnect the remote oil filter adapter inlet and outlet hoses (Four Wheel Drive vehicle). Refer to Remote Oil Filter Adapter Pipe Replacement.
  8. Remove the bolt holding the starter wire harness and if equipped, transmission cooler lines.
  9. Remove the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement in Starting and Charging.

1. Remove the transmission cover.
  2. Disconnect the torque convertor bolts from the flywheel, if equipped with automatic transmission. Refer to Flywheel to Torque Converter Bolts in Transmission and Drivetrain.
  3. Disconnect the front propeller shaft (Four Wheel Drive only). Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement-Front in Transmission and Drivetrain.
  4. Remove the transfer case, if equipped.
    • Refer to Transfer Case Replacement in Transmission and Drivetrain.
  1. In order to remove the top transmission bolts lower the rear of the transmission after removing the crossmember.
  2. Remove the transmission.
    • Refer to Transmission Replacement in Transmission and Drivetrain.

1. Remove the rear engine mount to crossmember nut.
  2. Remove the crossmember.

1. Remove the front engine mount through bolts.
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. Remove the PCV tube from the right valve rocker arm cover and the air cleaner outlet duct.
  2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct from the throttle body. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  4. Remove the radiator. Refer to Radiator Replacement in Cooling System.
  5. Remove the inlet and outlet radiator hoses from the engine. Refer to Radiator Hose Replacement in Cooling System.
  6. Disconnect the heater hoses from the engine. Refer to Heater Hoses Replacement in Heating and Air Conditioning.
  7. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
    • The fuel meter body assembly
    • The EVAP canister purge solenoid valve
    • The Idle Air Control (IAC) motor
    • The Throttle Position (TP) sensor
    • The A/C compressor high pressure switch, if equipped
    • The A/C clutch switch, if equipped
    • The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve
    • The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
    • The Ignition Control Module (ICM)
    • The generator
    • The Crankcase Position (CKP) sensor
  1. Release the engine wiring harness retainers and move the wiring harness aside.

1. Remove the battery ground cable at the engine.

1. Remove the bolts holding the ground wires to the left cylinder head.
  2. Remove the bolt holding the fuel pipe bracket to the rear of left cylinder head.

1. Remove the bolts holding the ground wires to the right cylinder head. Caution: In order to avoid possible injury or vehicle damage, always replace the accelerator control cable with a NEW cable whenever you remove the engine from the vehicle. In order to avoid cruise control cable damage, position the cable out of the way while you remove or install the engine. Do not pry or lean against the cruise control cable and do not kink the cable. You must replace a damaged cable.
  2. Remove the accelerator cable from the throttle shaft and the accelerator cable bracket. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  3. Remove the cruise control cable, if equipped from the throttle shaft and the accelerator cable bracket. Refer to Cruise Control Cable Replacement in Cruise Control.

1. Remove the accelerator control cable bracket from the throttle body.
  2. Remove the water pump pulley. Refer to Water Pump Replacement in Cooling System.
  3. Remove the A/C compressor, if equipped. Refer to Compressor Replacement in Heating and Air Conditioning.

1. Remove the nut holding the AIR reactor pipe bracket to the front of the engine, if equipped.
  2. Remove the nuts holding the power steering pump rear bracket to the engine.

1. Remove the power steering pump mounting bracket. Refer to Accessory Mounting Brackets Replacement (PS Pump Mounting Bracket).
    • The power steering pump can remain on the mounting bracket.
    • The hoses do not require removal.
    • Remove the three bolts and the nut.
    • Slide the mounting bracket off of the stud.
    • Secure the mounting bracket out of the way.
  1. Remove both of the secondary Air Injection (AIR) reactor pipes from the engine.
    • Refer to AIR Check Valve/Pipe Replacement-Bank 1 in Powertrain Management.
    • Refer to AIR Check Valve/Pipe Replacement-Bank 2 in Powertrain Management.
  1. Remove the AIR shut-off valve and hoses. Refer to AIR Shut-Off Valve Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  2. Remove the distributor cap. Refer to Distributor Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  3. Disconnect the fuel pipes at the rear of the intake manifold. Refer to Fuel Hose/Pipes Replacement (Engine Compartment) in Powertrain Management.
  4. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve pipe.

1. Disconnect the vacuum brake booster line from the intake manifold.
  2. Remove the water outlet. Refer to Thermostat Replacement in Cooling System.

1. Remove the EGR valve inlet pipe from the intake and the exhaust manifolds.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Attach the J 41427 to the left front and the right rear intake manifold mounting bolts, using the following procedure:
48.1.Remove the right rear lower intake manifold bolts.
48.2.Install the J 41427 marked RIGHT REAR.
48.3.Install the retaining bolts.
48.4.Remove the left front lower intake manifold bolts.
48.5.Install the J 41427 marked LEFT FRONT with the arrow pointing to the front of the engine.
48.6.Install the retaining bolts.
  • Tighten the retaining bolts to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Attach a suitable lifting device to the engine lift brackets.
  2. Remove the engine.

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech