GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

How do replace the fuel filter on my 2006 Hummer H3

How do replace the fuel filter on my 2006 Hummer H3?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. The fuel filter in your Hummer is in the fuel tank and is part of the fuel pump assembly. It is not meant to be changed nor do they give parts for this. If you have been sold a part then it is wrong.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is this something you recommend I take in for service or can this be done at home?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is replacing the fuel pump something I need to take to the dealership to get replaced or is this job easy enough for your average mechanic? How much should I expect to pay for the labor and part?
While I get you parts and labour, can I ask why you want or need to replace the filter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My hummer is stalling when I am idle. WHen RPM gauge gets below 500 the truck turn off. It is also turning off when I slow down to make a turn. I guess a diagnostic test is the only real way to tell what the problem is?

A diagnostic would be best so you don't spend 600 on a pump with 2 hours labour to find out it is not that. This could be many other things such as a dirty throttle body and intake.