cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech

2002 chevy venture: van..engage..clicking..new starter switch

Customer Question

have

i have a 2002 chevy venture van when i try to start it nothing ,starter will not engage
everything else works !    so i hit the bottom of the steering colum with my hand and it started , so i turned it off and tried it again and nothing -so i hit the bottom of the steering colum again it tried to start but then started clicking at the starter "NOW " i have nothing i changed starter relay- new starter switch with harnest and reset tthe security code / takes 30 minutes but i can not get power back to the starter !

i can cross it over at starter solinoid and it fires right-up (ANY IDEA`S )
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch or a loose electrical connection at the ignition switch. so i think you need to tear the column down
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have the colum tore down now replaced the starer switch in the colum the wires goes down to a block looks about 30 wires or so in it, i have it apart i need to know what else will cause this problem , i have been working on it for 2 days in my garage cleaned every wire, cables, ect.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why would the box above the - emer.brake click when i try to start the motor if it wasn`t going through the ign.switch ?
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
sir let me try to help you i will need alittle while to get all the diagrams to guide you in the right direction
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
first when trying to start it check both sides of the pcm/crank fuse in the instrument panel fuse block also check the pcm/abs fuse while the key is on for power on both sides
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have checked the fuse on both sides and checked out ok !

i started to get back out of the van and just reached over and turn the headlight switch to the "ON POSITION " turned the key switch and the van {motor started right up ) that makes no sense to me ! i have started the motor a dozen times to see if it was going to fail but so far starts good, may not after setting all night but i will see ! Danny Coleman

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok if it does this again take a test light or voltmeter and test the small wire at the starter for usually purple for voltage while trying to start it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i had already checked the ( solinoid wire ) and there were no power " until" i turned the headlight switch to the (ON POSITION ) and it has gotten power to starter ever sinse

is there some kind of RESET using the light switch that you know of ?

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
the only time ive seen that is if it has a ftermarket remote start and alarm system
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO ! it is all factory no one has done anything to it !

i was wondering if there could be a short circuit between the headlights & the solinoid wire if it wasn`t a Reset Feature ! i will drive the van for a little while before returning to owner if no problem i will post it ! Danny Coleman

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok never heard of it and nothing in my software states such a reset
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK! i will check the wires from the headlight switch to see if there are any problems !

if not there has to be a bad ground connection from the frame to the engine , body to frame ,ect. - cause all "fuses & Relays" checks out ok ! even with the ignition engaged in the start position ~ i will let you know what i find ! Danny coleman !

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Van still strating after two days but sounds like "starter solinoid" staying engaged couple seconds tooo long , can hear a grinding at flywheel (sometimes) dont know if it was doing that before or not ! i woundering if the "solinoid" its self could be the culprit with these vans ?

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
thats what i was assumeing to start with thats why i was haveing you check the purple wire for voltage but that doesnt make sense since you could jump the solinoid
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yea ! so it has to be in wire from solinoid back to relay OR from relay back to switch

if she brings van back i will completely disassemble the wiring harnes to find the problem just toooo many of these vans with same ignition problem !

i dont think the headlight switch is heavy enough & effecting the secuity system shutting down the ignition could be a loose wire in the Male /female plugs ,same as the impala has with the ( pass key 111 ) magnetic sensor lose connection at the plug lose wire ends ! Danny Coleman !

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
i beleive that you confirmed power to the crank fuse so the juice is going that far in the circuit do you have the diagram or would you like it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well the van starts every time now so it`s hard to chase the problem down where it was at to begin with ! after turning the headlight switch to the "ON" postion the motor hasn`t fail to start and it does have factory secuity system / not after market ! Danny

Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
ok im with you have to wait and see