Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, Master ASE/GM Tech 25 Years
Experience:  Master ASE/ GM Tech 25 years with GM
20496363

The anti-theft device is keeping my 05 Malibu classic from

The anti-theft device is keeping my 05 Malibu classic from starting. Is there a way I can reset it without carrying it to a dealership?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 4 years ago.
That's because you have to do the 30 minute Relearn!

Good Luck!

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
Notes

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS

SET UP A THEFT DETERRENT MODULE (TDM) USING EXISTING KEYS

IMPORTANT:
  • Use this procedure only if replacing the theft deterrent module (TDM) using the existing vehicle keys.
  • The TDM contains specific values needed by the existing vehicle keys. The information must be extracted before TDM replacement. Information contained within the original TDM must be unlocked through the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure in order to extract this information.
  1. Perform the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure using the Prepare Module For TDM Setup calibration. Refer to the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure.
  2. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. With a scan tool, select TDM in the Vehicle Control Systems Module Replacement/Setup data list.
  5. Select Step 1.
  6. Select Use Existing Keys.
  7. Follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.

SET UP A THEFT DETERRENT MODULE (TDM) USING NEW KEYS

IMPORTANT: Use this procedure only if replacing the theft deterrent module (TDM) using new vehicle keys.

• When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, the TDM will learn the keys immediately. However, the existing powertrain control module (PCM) must learn the fuel continue password XXXXX the replacement TDM.
  • When replacing a PCM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, the new PCM will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX the TDM immediately upon the next ignition switch from OFF to CRANK. A PCM which had been installed in another vehicle will have learned the fuel continue password XXXXX the other vehicle TDM. Perform either the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure or the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure to learn the fuel continue password XXXXX the current vehicle TDM.
  • When performing either relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory.
  • Additional keys may be learned after performing either the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure or the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.
  • Use only a master key when performing the first relearn procedure. If you use a valet key first, the TDM will not allow additional keys to be learned.
  1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  3. With a scan tool, select TDM in the Vehicle Control Systems Module Replacement/Setup data list.
  4. Select Step 1.
  5. Select Use New Keys.
  6. Follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.

10-MINUTE RELEARN PROCEDURE
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

• The PASS-Key III plus keys
  • The theft deterrent module (TDM)
  • The powertrain control module (PCM)
  1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle. IMPORTANT:
    • When replacing either the PASS-Key III plus keys, PCM, or TDM and the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure is used, ensure that the appropriate calibration is selected for the replacement component on the calibration selection screen of the service programming system. The appropriate calibrations for specific vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system components are described below.
    • When preparing a TDM for replacement, the Prepare Module For TDM Setup Procedure calibration is required. This allows the retrieval of required information from the TDM prior to its replacement.
    • When replacing existing PASS-Key III plus keys and the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure is used, or when relearning existing PASS-Key III plus keys to the existing TDM and the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure is used, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn For Learning Replacement Keys calibration is required. This clears all previously learned keys from the TDM and enables the TDM to learn new PASS-Key III plus keys. For learning additional PASS-Key III plus keys, refer to Adding Keys (Domestic) Adding Keys (Export including Canada).
    • When replacing a PCM that has previously learned another vehicle TDM fuel continue password XXXXX the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure is used, the VTD Learn for L61 or VTD Learn for LX9 calibration is required. This clears the previously learned fuel continue password XXXXX the PCM and enables the PCM to learn the next fuel continue password XXXXX receives.
    • When replacing a TDM and the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure is used, the VTD Learn for L61 or VTD Learn for LX9 calibration is required. This clears the previously learned fuel continue password XXXXX the PCM and enables the PCM to learn the next fuel continue password XXXXX receives.
    • When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, insure the procedure to setup a new TDM is performed prior to the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure.
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Ensure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
  3. With a scan tool, select Request Info. under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.
  4. Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software.
  5. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming procedure is selected based on the component being replaced or programmed. See important above.
  6. Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
  7. With a master PASS-Key III plus key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  8. With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.
  9. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure.
  10. Observe the scan tool. After approximately 10 minutes , the scan tool will display Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the key information and/or the passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. IMPORTANT:
    • The scan tool will initially display 12 Minutes . The first 2 minutes allow the scan tool to initialize the appropriate control module. The remaining 10 minutes is the relearn timer.
    • On some vehicles the security indicator may be illuminated on steady for the duration of the 10-Minute Relearn Procedure.
  1. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds .
  2. With a master PASS-Key III plus key, start the vehicle. The TDM has now learned the key transponder information or the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  3. If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys (Domestic) Adding Keys (Export including Canada).
  4. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30-MINUTE RELEARN PROCEDURE

• The PASS-Key III plus keys
  • The theft deterrent module (TDM)
  • The powertrain control module (PCM)
  1. With a master PASS-Key III plus key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. IMPORTANT:
    • This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured TDMs.
    • When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, ensure the procedure to setup a new TDM is performed prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.
  1. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes , the telltale will turn OFF.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  3. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes .
  4. With a master PASS-Key III plus key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to Acc/Run/Crank. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  5. If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys (Domestic) Adding Keys (Export including Canada).
  6. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The question I asked is before anything has been replaced. The engine just wouldn't start one day when I turned it off. I have heard there is a way I can reset it without having to replace anything. Are you saying there is a bad part that will have to be replaced before the procedure you stated? Does that mean the ignition switch will have to be replaced first?

Thanks
No. The 30 Minute Relearn should be performed BEFORE you replace anything.
If it doesn't work, we'll take it from there with the diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES!!!! it worked! One last question and maybe I won't have to bother you again. I have been using a duplicate key I had made. It worked fine for weeks. Then about a month ago, I hit a chunk of metal in the road that did a lot of damage to the underside of my car. Part of the damage knocked a hole in my gas tank and it had to be replaced. After getting it out of the repair shop, the car wouldn't start. A mechanic who had a scan device "reprogrammed" the theft device and the car started fine after that until about a week ago. Then it did the same thing. That's when I did this with you. Could the damage have caused the problem I have been having, and will it more than likely to do this again? Could this have been caused by the damage that knocked a hole in the gas tank?

Thanks for all your help

I don't think it's damage related, sounds more like the spare key usage.

Good Luck!

Experience: Master ASE/ GM Tech 25 years with GM