JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

How to replace the fuel pump in a Chevy Malibu (2000)

Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.

1. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure .
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure . See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
  3. Raise the vehicle and suitably support. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  4. Disconnect the quick-connect fitting at the fuel filter.

1. Remove the exhaust rubber hangers. Allow exhaust system to rest on rear axle.
  2. Remove the exhaust heat shield.
  3. Loosen the fuel tank filler hose clamp at the fuel tank.
  4. Remove the hoses from the fuel tank filler, EVAP vent and EVAP vapor pipes.
  5. Disconnect the electrical harness from the multi-way rear body connector and fuel strap.
  6. With the aid of an assistant, support fuel tank (1) and disconnect the two fuel tank retaining straps.
  7. Lower the fuel tank.
  8. Disconnect the wiring harness from the modular fuel sender assembly and fuel tank pressure sensor.
  9. Disconnect the EVAP pipe and fuel pipe from the modular fuel sender and fill limited vent valve.
  10. Remove the fuel sender assembly from the tank.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Inspect all connectors for dirt and burrs. Clean or replace components/assemblies as required. Fuel line O-rings for cuts, nicks, swelling or distortion. Replace if necessary.
  1. the fuel sender assembly to tank.
  2. Connect the fuel pipe and EVAP pipe to the modular fuel sender and fill limited vent valve..
  3. Connect the wiring harness to the modular fuel sender assembly and fuel pressure switch.
  4. With the aid of an assistant, raise the fuel tank (1) to the vehicle. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  5. Install the fuel tank retaining straps. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 35 N.m (26 lb ft) .
  6. Connect the wiring harness into the multi-way rear body connector.
  7. Connect the hoses to the fuel tank filler, EVAP vent and EVAP vapor pipes.
  8. Tighten the filler hose clamp at the fuel tank.
  9. Connect the hoses to filler, vent and vapor pipes
  10. Install the exhaust rubber hangers.
  11. Connect the nylon fuel line and fuel filter quick-connect fittings.
  12. Lower the vehicle.
  13. Refill the tank and install the fuel fill cap.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.
  15. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:
5.1. Turn ON the ignition, for 2 seconds .
15.2. Turn OFF the ignition, for 10 seconds .
15.3. Turn ON the ignition.
15.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure . See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
  2. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure . See: Powertrain Management\Fuel Delivery and Air Induction\Fuel Tank\Service and Repair\Fuel Tank Draining
  3. Remove the fuel tank.
  4. Remove the modular fuel sender assembly.
  5. Remove the fuel pump electrical retaining clip at the top of the modular fuel sender assembly.
  6. Disconnect the fuel pump and fuel level sender electrical connector.
  7. Depress the 3 tabs (1) securing upper fuel reservoir and slide upward until free of lower reservoir (2).
  8. Depress the tab on the fuel level sensor (1) while sliding up and out of the housing.
  9. Remove the retaining clip from the electrical connector.
  10. Remove the fuel level sender wires from the connector, taking care to note the location of the wires.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT:

• Make sure the wires are routed under the fuel level sender.
  • Make sure the tab locks in place
  • graphicgraphic

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech