BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2005 Chevrolet Classic: ignition lock cylinder..what about the keys

How do you remove and replace the ignition lock cylinder in a 2005 Chevrolet Classic and what about the keys that will be needed for it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer this job can be dangerous due to the air bag in this vehicle. Is this something you plan on doing yourself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, but the key lock cylinder is in the dashboard not in the steering column why would that affect the airbag?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 5 years ago.
Isn't this a Silverado Classic?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, It is a version of the malibu that chevy made and as far as I know it only came out in 2005. It is not a malibu classic that some people think. It is just a classic, the malibu is completely different. This car seems to be made up of parts from the 2004 malibu as well as its own version of parts.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 5 years ago.
Okay. You will still need to disable the air bag system as shown. You will enable it in the reverse order. THen you can change the cylinder,

graphic

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
  4. Remove the LH instrument panel (I/P) wiring harness junction block access panel.
  5. Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the LH I/P wiring harness junction block (3). IMPORTANT: With the AIR BAG Fuse removed and the ignition ON, the AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is a normal operation and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
graphic
  1. Remove the RH I/P wiring harness junction block access panel.
  2. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (2) from the inflatable restraint I/P module connector (3) located above the RH I/P wiring harness junction block.
  3. Disconnect the I/P module connector (3).

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
  2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 and SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 5 in Restraint Systems.
  3. Remove the accessory trim plate from the I/P carrier.
  4. Remove the instrument panel cluster from the I/P carrier.

graphic
  1. Remove the ignition switch bolts from the ignition switch.
  2. Insert the key into the lock cylinder. Rotate the key to the ON position.
  3. graphic

1. If the lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate, perform the following procedure:
  1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
  2. Locate the surface for the lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing.On the key entry side of the switch housing center punch a location on the rib (1) approximately 3/8 of an inch from the cylinder release button (2).
  3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
  4. Using a 9/32 inch drill bit carefully drill a hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring.
  5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
  6. Grasp the lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
  7. Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
graphic
  1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.
  2. Release the transaxle park/lock cable retainer, then pull outward to remove the cable from the ignition switch.
  3. graphic

1. Press the lock cylinder release plunger. The release plunger is located at the four o'clock position on the ignition switch housing.
  2. Use the key in order to pull the lock cylinder from the ignition switch housing.

graphic

1. Disconnect the pass key electrical connector from the ignition switch housing.
  2. Remove the ignition switch housing through the opening in the I/P cluster.
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH