Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

1987 Chevy: fuel injection..Truck cranks..wont start..fuel pump relay

Customer Question

1987 Chevy C20, 350 engine, standard transmission, fuel injection. Truck cranks over, but won't start. Replaced fuel pump relay, checked both fuel pumps in the tanks and they are working. When the key is turned on, you do not hear the pumps.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
You should hear the pumps faintly. Grab some starter fluid and open your breather. Shoot some starting fluid in there and see if she will crank over and start for a couple of seconds. If she starts its the fuel pump.

Thanks Dan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not hear the pumps coming on at all. Dropped tanks, checked fuel pumps and tested with a battery. Each pump is good.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the tanks dropped now. or is everything put back together?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Everything is back together. There is no fire power to the fuel pumps when the key is turned.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
what about the fuel pump fuse? If you dont mind checking for me real quick.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has a fuel pump relay. I replaced that. TBI system, standard transmission
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
So no power to the pumps? Have you chase the wires for shorts all the way up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, that is my next step.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
OK then also check all your fuses because you never know what might be tied into the pumps. For instance the ignition switch is tied into the pumps like a unconstant hot so that when you turn the key it primes the injectors.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Already checked all the fuses, put in new ignition switch. Still no fire to the fuel pumps. Could it be the ECM? TBI System
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
You need to check the fuel pump pin connector and the fuel pump hot and ground, to eliminate everything else but the ecm.
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience: Most of our fleet is chevy.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
Let me know how it goes I will be around 10 other mech in the morning and I can bend thier ears if I cant help you fix it I will find the resource that can. Thanks Dan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will let you know if I need any more help. Thank you
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 5 years ago.
Good Luck