Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2007 Chevy Tahoe 5,3 L V8 60,000 miles. Where is the oil pressure

Customer Question

2007 Chevy Tahoe 5,3 L V8 60,000 miles. Where is the oil pressure sending unit located? I am stranded with no tools but can check the guage by disconnecting the sensor. If guage is ok, I have no way to check the sending unit, but need to drive the car to get home!!! Problem has been happening about every 3 months or so and normally corrects itself at some point!!! I wan to know "What do I do on Sunday, on the side of the road without tools, to try to determine if I have bad sensor, or NO oil pressure WITHOUT TOOLS?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

hi

the sensor is at the rear of the engine....if you are not sure if you have a bad sender,,please have it towed,,,,not haveing oil presure can destroy the engine..sorry

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Component Locations

At the rear of the engine on the left side of center

Service and Repair
  • Tools Required
  • J41712 Oil Pressure Sensor Socket

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the engine sight shield. Refer to Engine Sight Shield Replacement. Important: Clean the area around the sensor before removal. Do not allow debris to enter the engine.
  2. Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
  3. Remove the oil pressure sensor using the J41712 or equivalent.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Apply sealant GM P/N 12346004 or equivalent to the threads of the oil pressure sensor.

1. Use the J41712 or equivalent in order to install the oil pressure sensor. Tighten the oil pressure sensor to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).
  2. Connect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector.
  3. Install the engine sight shield. Refer to Engine Sight Shield Replacement.
  4. Check and adjust engine oil level (if required).