Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

where is the cam sensor located and could i get picture chevy

Customer Question

where is the cam sensor located and could i get picture
chevy silverado 4.8 v8
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome back,

Is that the Camshaft Position Sensor you are looking for?

I assume this is for your 2000 Silverado?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes Camshaft Position Sensor is what i am looking for sorry about that
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

Not a problem - I just wanted to make sure I had the right part.

To get to the Camshaft Position Sensor, you have to remove the Engine Sight Shield first. Here are the instructions.

Engine Sight Shield Replacement

Removal Procedure

graphic

1. Remove the sight shield bolts.
  2. Remove the sight shield from the engine.
  3. Remove the sight shield mounting bracket and bolts (if required).

Installation Procedure

graphic

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the sight shield mounting bracket and bolts. Tighten

Tighten the bracket bolts to 5N·m (44 lb in).

Notice

Use care when installing the engine sight shield to avoid contacting the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor wire harness connector. Loss of engine performance or engine damage may result.

2. Install the engine sight shield and bolts to the bracket. Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 10N·m (89 lb in).

Here is the procedure for changing the Camshaft Position Sensor.

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important

Clean the area around the camshaft position (CMP) sensor before removal in order to prevent debris from entering the engine.

graphic

1. Remove the engine sight shield, as necessary. See above procedure.
  2. Disconnect the CMP sensor electrical connector.
  3. Remove the CMP sensor bolt.
  4. Remove the CMP sensor.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Install the CMP sensor.

Notice

2. Install the CMP sensor bolt. Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

3. Connect the CMP sensor electrical connector.
  4. Install the engine sight shield, as necessary.

.

I hope this helps.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the sensor under the sight shield mounting bracket or is way in the back near bottom of manifold i can not see it i can see something way back but connector plug looks
different and comes out of top and don't see any screw holding it down
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

The "big arrow" in the diagrams always point to the front of the vehicle, so the sensor is in the back of the engine.

Let me check another source and see if I can find a better diagram, or some text that explains where it is.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i will be waiting
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

The other source has the same drawing, but it does say "top center rear of the engine".

The connector should have 3 wires in it: Red, Brown with white tracer, and Pink with a black tracer.

Please let me know what you find.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi
ok i believe i found it is way in back tucked under manifold and has three wires
had to use mirror going to be fun to get out gm gets no atta boy for that.

thanks so mush for all your help and patients

bob
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

You are quite welcome & thanks for the accept.

Take Care & Good Luck, Greg A.