GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo. The interior lights, dashboard

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo. The interior lights, dashboard lights (radio lights and controls) and tail lights and are out. The headlights are constantly on even during the daytime. What is the problem and what do I do to fix it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. Have you checked any of the fuses yet? Do the headlights change between high and low? How and when did this issue begin?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes sir, I checked all the fuses this morning. Just checked and high beams and it changes from high to low. This issue started a week ago.

Jaime L. Madrigal

Chief of Police

Fort Irwin Police Dept

Ok, if you are up for some diagnosis, lets figure this out. To start with see if the park lamp relay clicks with you try to turn it on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm at my car, what do you mean by "park relay clicks"

OK, in the junction block in the right side of the dash is the park lamp relay. when you turn the lights on, even with the key off, does that relay click?

Object Number: 515604  Size: LF

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no Sir the relay does not click. I tried with the key not inserted. just the warning tone to let me know the lights are on but no clicking or click from the fuse box area on the passenger side of the dashboard. I tried the same with the engine on and same results.
OK, that is good information. Next, take a test light, remove the park lamp relay. Using the test light, see if there is power on 2 of the terminals the relay went into.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
weired, I was wiggling the fuse to remove and power came back on. Dashboard lights are on, rear lights are on. Only problem left is headlights are still on during the daytime and dashboard light is dim. I checked the dimmer switch and works ok.
Ok, is there stuff on the dash covering the light sensor, or is the sensor fallen into the dash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am "assuming the light sensor is immediately to the left of the dahboard defrost vent. A small black 1/8 inc bubble. If so, it's still mounted on top of the dashboard
OK, yes that is the sensor. One of 3 things are likely causing this then. First the sensor is faulty and making it think it is dark outside, second the headlight switch is failing and causing the lights to stay on or third the BCM is faulty. What I suggest is you try to turn the lights on with the car off, see if the lights come on, If so, then the headlight switch is not the issue. This narrows it down to the sensor or BCM. For this you will need to see what the data in the BCM is reading from the sensor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sir, thank you for your assistance, now my daughter wont get pulled over by my own cops when her car doesn't have tail lights
LOL, I bet she knows who to talk to if she were needing to get the ticket canceled! LOL. Thanks.