John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

How do you remove the transmission from a 1996 s10 blazer

How do you remove the transmission from a 1996 s10 blazer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Here is some information to help you.

Transmission Replacement

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information
  3. Loosen the bolts around the transmission oil pan.
  4. Position an oil container under the oil pan to catch the draining oil.
  5. Pry the front of the oil pan free from the transmission and drain the transmission oil.
  6. Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission control lever and bracket. Remove the rear propeller shaft. Refer to one of the following procedures in Driveline/Axle:
    ForXXXXX refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement (Rear) .
    ForXXXXXwith a two-piece propeller shaft, refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement (Two-Piece Rear) .
    ForXXXXX refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement (4WD Models-Front) .
  7. Raise and support the vehicle.
  8. Remove the transfer case from the transmission. Refer to Transfer Case Replacement.
    Object Number: 9098  Size: SH

9. Nut and washer securing the transmission mount to the cross member.
  10. Remove the two bolts and washers securing the mount to the transmission.
  11. Remove exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifolds. Refer to Exhaust System Replacement.
    Object Number: 9096  Size: SH

Important: Vehicles equipped with the 4.3L engines must have the two access caps (located at the bottom front of the transmission) removed to gain access to the torque converter through the torque converter housing.

12. Remove three bolts securing the flywheel to the torque converter.
    Object Number: 32707  Size: SH

13. Remove the bolt, clip, and strap securing the fuel lines and transmission vent hose to the transmission.
    Object Number: 32774  Size: SH

14. Remove the bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
    Object Number: 32732  Size: SH

15. Remove the bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
  16. Remove the oil level indicator tube from the transmission. Plug the oil Level Indicator tube opening in the transmission.
  17. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines from the transmission. Plug the transmission cooler line connectors in the transmission case.
  18. Disconnect the wiring harness connectors from the transmission speed sensor and park neutral position switch.
  19. Remove all of the vehicle harness wires, harness clips, tubes, brackets, and lines that may interfere with the removal of the transmission from the vehicle.

Important: Support the transmission using a transmission jack with a safety chain prior to removing the transmission from the engine.

20. Install J-21336 to the converter housing to secure the torque converter

Important: J -21336 perverts the torque converter from pulling forward and dropping out of the transmission during engine and transmission separation.

21. Pull the transmission straight back from the engine.
  22. Lower the transmission using the transmission jack.
  23. Flush the transmission oil cooler and lines.
  1. Ensure the torque converter is seated properly and that J 21366 is installed.
    Object Number: 32774  Size: SH

2. Raise the transmission into place and remove J 21366.

Support the transmission with a transmission jack.

3. Slide the transmission straight onto the locating pins while lining up the marks on the flywheel and the torque converter.
    Object Number: 32732  Size: SH

Important: The torque converter must be flush with the flywheel and rotate freely by hand.

4. Install the bolts securing the transmission to the engine.

Tighten
    Tighten transmission to engine bolts to 47 N·m (34 lb ft).

5. Install all brackets, clips, and harness as they were when removed.
  6. Install the wiring harness connectors to the transmission speed sensor and park/neutral position switch.
  7. Remove the transmission case cooling line plugs from the transmission case.
  8. Install the transmission cooler lines.
  9. Remove the oil filler tube plug from the transmission case.
  10. Install the transmission oil level indicator tube. Object Number: 32707  Size: SH

11. Install the bolt, clip and strap securing the three fuel lines and transmission vent hose to the transmission case.
    Object Number: 9096  Size: SH

12. Install the flywheel to torque converter bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 63 N·m (46 lb ft).

13. Install the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifolds support brackets. Refer to Exhaust System Replacement.
    Object Number: 9098  Size: SH

14. Install two bolts and washers securing the mount to the transmission.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

Object Number: 9098  Size: SH

15. Install the nut and washer securing the transmission mount to the cross member.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 52 N·m (38 lb ft).

16. Remove the transmission jack from the transmission.
  17. Install the transfer case to the transmission, if equipped. Refer to Transfer Case Replacement.
  18. Install the rear propeller shaft. Refer to Rear Propeller Shaft Replacement.
  19. Lower the vehicle.
  20. Fill the transmission to the proper level with transmission oil.
  21. Test the transmission for proper operation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I remove the transfer case. it says refere to Transfercase replacement but does not give that information.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Transfer Case Replacement (With Automatic Transmission)
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. Remove the transfer case shield. Remove the front and rear propeller shafts. Remove the vent hose from the transfer case vent.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the three speed sensors.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the encoder/motor.
  4. Remove the wiring harness from the transfer case.
  5. Support the transfer case with a jack.
    Object Number: 175410  Size: SH

6. Remove the bolts securing the transfer case to the transmission.
  7. Remove the transfer case from the transmission.
    Object Number: 2214  Size: SH

8. Remove and discard the gasket.

Object Number: 2214  Size: SH

1. Install a new gasket to the transmission. Apply a thin coat of clear RTV in order to hold the gasket in place.
    Object Number: 2213  Size: SH

2. Install the transfer case to the transmission.
    Object Number: 2217  Size: SH

3. Install the bolts that secure the transfer case to the transmission.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 45 N·m (33 lb ft).

in General Information.

4. Remove the jack from the transfer case.
  5. Connect the electrical connector to the three speed sensors.
  6. Connect the electrical connector to the encoder/motor.
  7. Install the vent hose to the transfer case vent.
  8. Install the front and rear propeller shafts. Install the transfer case shield. Refer toShield Replacement .
    Check the transfer case oil level. Add oil as necessary.
    Lower the vehicle.
  9. Inspect the transfer case for normal operation.
Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician