jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician

Oil pressure light..tapping..u r idling or accelerating what can i do

Customer Question

my 2005 silverado cant drive long distances. The low oil pressure light will come on and it will start tapping. but when i drive local its fine except the fact that the oil pressure gauge goes from 20-40 depending on whether u r idling or accelerating what can i do? someone told me to switch to a good synthetic oil. could that work?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 7 years ago.
hello, I need to know the 8th vin number please ...guy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2GCEK13T451111786 im not sure what u meant by the 8th vin number but here is the entire number
hi, here are the specs.for the oil pressure:
Oil Pressure - Minimum - Hot 41 kPa at 1,000 engine RPM (124 kPa at 2,000 engine RPM) 165 kPa at 4,000 engine RPM (6 psig at 1,000 engine RPM) 18 psig at 2,000 engine RPM (24 psig at 4,000 engine RPM) I would use a mechanical oil pressure gauge to double check the oil pressure it could be that the guage in the truck is bad or the oil pressure switch(sending unit)is bad and that the oil pressure is low therefore the oil pump is bad..guy