GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

I tighten the emergency brake cable when the adjusting nut

How do I tighten the emergency brake cable when the adjusting nut at the splitter joint has no more threads to tighten?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2002 Silverado 1500 Pick-up wiht 140,000. Small 4.6 V8. Checked the rear pads and there is 50% of the pad left.
Ok, these use a separate single brake shoe inside of the rotor for the park brake. You need to take the rotor off and adjust the star wheel on the actuator for the part brake shoe. Also make sure there is at lease 1/8" of shoe in the thinnest spot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Plenty of shoe left. Moved both star wheels out to where the rotoe will bearly fit over the shoes.

Brake cable still not tight. When E brake pedal is pushed in it goes to the floor and still does not hold car from rolling. Is there any way to tighten the cable further?

Yes, on the drivers side of the frame forward of the rear axle is the equalizer. There is a nut on that to tighten the cable more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That nut is tightened all the way to the bottom of the threads. It cannot be tightened anymore.
OK, is there a deep groove where the shoe runs in the rotors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not that I have can see.

OK, then you need to check the pedal. It has some springs in it to take up the slack. If that is good, then the brake cables are stretched and will need replacing. First mark the position of the lever/actuator on the back of the brake backing plate. Then apply the brake and see what the travel is on both. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for delay in answering. Had to go out of town for a few days. Need to know how to take up the slack in the springs.
There is not tightening the springs. If the shoes are tight against the drum and the cable nut is as far on as possible then the cables are stretched and must be replaced.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I will need to replaec the cables.