Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Replace an oil cooling line on a 2001 chevy silverado 2500 hd

Customer Question

I need to know how to replace an oil cooling line on a 2001 chevy silverado 2500hd
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
what size engine?is itXXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
6.0 and it is 4wd
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
here yah go..just have patients and it will go smooth for you

1. Perform the following steps on both the upper and lower radiator quick connect fittings:
1.1.Disengage the plastic caps from the quick connect fittings. Pull the caps back along the pipes.
1.2.Hold one leg of the retaining clip.
1.3.Using a small pick-type tool (or bent screwdriver) gently pry the other end of the retaining clip from the quick connect fitting.
1.4.Rotate the retaining clip out of the quick connect fitting. Remove the retaining clip completely.
1.5.Discard the OLD retaining clips.

1. Remove the oil cooler pipes from the retainer clip.
  2. Gently pull the oil cooler pipe fittings straight out from the radiator quick connect fittings.
  3. Raise and suitably support the vehicle with safety stands. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Remove the engine shield bolts.
  2. Remove the engine shield.

1. Remove the oil cooler hose bracket bolt (1).
  2. Remove the oil cooler hose adapter bolts (2).
  3. Remove the oil cooler hose/pipe assembly and gasket. Discard the gasket.
  4. Inspect the fittings, connectors and cooler pipe for damage or distortion.

Installation Procedure

Important:

• Prior to the installation of the engine oil cooler hose/pipe assembly, install NEW retaining clips to the quick connect fittings.
  • Ensure that the oil cooler hose/pie assembly being installed has plastic caps on the ends of the pipes. If no plastic caps exist, or the plastic cap is damaged, obtain a new cap. Install the cap on to the cooler line prior to cooler line installation.

1. Do not install the NEW retaining clips onto the fitting by pushing on the clip.

Important: Failure to properly install the retaining clip could cause the cooler line to come loose and cause damage to the engine.

1. Install the NEW retaining clip into the quick connect fitting by using your thumb and forefinger. Insert the new retaining clip into one of the three fitting recesses. Ensure that the retaining clip is engaged in all 3 slots.

1. With one end of the retaining clip engaged in the connector fitting slot, use your thumb in order to rotate the retaining clip around the connector fitting, until the retaining clip snaps into place.
  2. Ensure that the 3 retaining clips ears are seen from inside the fitting and that the retaining clip moves freely in the fitting slots.
  3. Install NEW retaining clips into the remaining quick connect fittings.

1. Install the oil -cooler hose/pipe assembly and, a NEW gasket. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
    • Tighten the oil cooler hose adapter bolts to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.) .
    • Tighten the oil cooler hose bracket bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the engine shield.
  2. Install the engine shield bolts.
    • Tighten the engine shield bolts to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.) .

1. Lower the vehicle. Important: A distinct snap should be heard when assembling cooler pipe fittings to the quick connect fittings. To insure the pipe is fully inserted into the quick connect fitting, check by giving the pipe a forceful tug.
  2. Firmly push the oil cooler pipe fittings straight into the radiator quick connect fittings.
  3. Install the oil cooler pipes to the retaining clip.

1. Install the plastic caps onto the quick connect fittings. Important:
    • Do not use the plastic cap in order to install the cooler line into the fitting.
    • Do not manually depress the retaining clip when installing the plastic cap.
  1. Snap the plastic cap onto the quick connect fitting.
  2. Ensure that the plastic cap is fully seated against the fitting.

1. Ensure that no gap is present between the cap and the fitting.

1. Ensure that the yellow identification band on the pipe is hidden within the quick connect fitting. A hidden yellow identification band indicates proper joint seating.
  2. Run the engine. Inspect the engine oil cooling system for leaks.
  3. Inspect the engine oil level. Add oil if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need to know how it slides out and back in does it go out through the front? do i have to take somthing else off? i cant get it to slide past the motormount area front or back
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok the big aluminum block hits when you try to slide it forward correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes hits the motor mount
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok what i will do is it doent hit that much at all..so what i will do is take a big prybar and pry the engine up and away to open up a little more room..there should be enough flex in the rubber motor mount..worse case if it will not move enough pull out that one side big long motor mount bolts and jack up that side of the engine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we still cant seem to pull the block throu to the front( it does come out under the front bumper right ?)my motormount on that side doesnt seem to have that big bolt thou the middle. i am at a loss of what to do
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
yes it should come out threw the front if it came out the rear i dont think it can bend that far to come out..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you call me XXX-XXX-XXXX I would rather talk in person
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
they dont allow that...this is the long motor mount bolt remove it and jack the engine up some then it will slip out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need you to tell me exactly which motor mount as I cannot see the picture you sent. we are going to try again tomorrow as it is raining pretty hard and we have to do this outside
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
that oil line is hitting the motor mount..there is a long big nut and bolt going straight threw that connects the motor mount to the frame ..remove that nut and bolt and jack up the engine on that side