carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified , 16 yrs in field
12326834

Chevrolet Impala 2004. 105,000 miles. Hard to start after

Chevrolet Impala 2004. 105,000 miles. Hard to start after warming up. Diagnostic tools reading "Bank 1 Running Rich." I have replaces the Oxygen sensor that is on the manifold. It runs great when starting it cold.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me which engine you have? The 3.4 or the 3.8?

Thanks Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
3.8 Engine

The fuel pressure regulators on these engines have had a ton of problems. What is happening is that the regulator fills the vacuum line that connects to it with fuel and on a restart, it has all of that raw fuel being drawn into the engine, thus, flooding the motor...

Pull the vacuum line off of the regulator and see if a fuel leak or fuel is present in the line. If it is, replace the regulator...If it is not, run the engine for awhile, pull the hose of a wait a few minutes to see if the leak occurs.

I had the same problem on 1 3.8 engine that took me 2 days worth of checking to get it to act up...

The fuel pressure regulator is located at the end of the fuel rail next to the throttle body..

Thanks Carguyjosh

100% satisfaction is my goal. If an answer is unclear or more information is needed, Please don't hesitate to ask...Bonuses and positive feedback are always much appreciated...