GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

How do I adjust the emergency brake cable on 1999 chevy silverado Z71

how do I adjust the emergency brake cable on 1999 chevy silverado Z71
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Welcome. There are 2 adjustments. First is the shoe adjustment inside the rotor. There is no access hole so the rotor must be removed. Second is the nut on the equalizer on the left frame rail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First for the shoe adjustment. I have removed the roter. Where is the shoe adjustment and what does it look like?

The shoes are a full single shoe under the rotor. You need to take the rotor off the axle to see it.

Object Number: 370485  Size: SH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have removed the rotor. I see a star wheel.

Ok, turn the star wheel to reduce teh clearance. Then install the rotors and adjust the nut.

Object Number: 493216  Size: SH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
which way do I turn the star wheel?
Honestly, I have never paid attention when I make adjustments on these. It will expand when you turn it the proper way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does the parking brake need to be pushed all the way in?
I am not sure what you mean by that, but the park brake pedal must not be applied and the shoe in the proper position.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how much do I adjust or turn the star wheel to expand the space?

Until there is next to no space between the shoe and the rotor. The less the space, the less travel in the park brake pedal.

While you have the rotor off, check the lining thickness. It needs to be about the thickness of a dime in the thinnest spot or you will not get enough travel to properly adjust the brake.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, I expanded just enough where the rotor will fit over the shoe. The thickness on the brake shoe looks good if that is what you were referring to. Do I do that on the other rear e-brake next or adjust the equalizer first?
Do the other shoe first then check the pedal movement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, do I back out the nut on the equalizer backwards towards the end of the stem or towards the the front cable?

Towards the front of the cable so there are more threads on the end.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it was already towards the front of the cable to where there are no more threads on the end
how far down does the pedal go?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well I have to finish the other wheel first but I went ahead and look at the equalizer nut.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We're good. Your awesome mechanic!