GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Where is the body control module on a 2003 chevy monte carlo

Customer Question

where is the body control module on a 2003 chevy monte carlo
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome. The BCM is under the left side of the dash above the fuel pedal.

Object Number: 614333  Size: SH

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I need to ask a follw up question how do i do that?

You just did. The BCM does control the dome lights, the reverse lights and does work with the PCM and HVAC control module to control the AC compressor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

would I need to replace it if I changed all the relays associated with it if my interior dome lights, reverse lights and dash borad lights flicer then come back on with a sercurity light in the message center?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does the body control module control the back up lights, interior dome lughts and the ac compressor?

Chances are very good. The Body Control Modules are known for issue such as flickering lights.

It does control all the times you indicated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does it make the hvac compressor cycle on and off rapidly too?
No, the AC cycling rapidly usually is a sign the AC charge is too low.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there a way to check to see if the bcm is bad before i go and have it replaced?
There may be codes stored in the module but this is a common failure of the module. Chances are really good it is a module and if I owned it, I would put it in. Also I suspect that you will tell me all these happened at the same time.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah they did but they just started all of a sudden and the first indication I got that something was wrong was a clicking sound in the right side fuse box area and feeling the park lamp relay clicking, would it cause that too?
Yes, I suspect there is an internal fault.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
an internal other than the bcm?
Internal BCM. All of these functions are handled by the BCM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess i will go ahead and replace thanks for all of your help
You are welcome. Please don;t hesitate to reply to this post if you need more information on this issue.