GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How do you disable the passlock system in a 2001 impala

How do you disable the passlock system in a 2001 impala?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 5 years ago.

Passlock systems are not made to be disabled - if you have lost your key, then the vehicle needs to go to the dealer and new keys w/transponders need to be made, then the module and keys need to be programmed (learned) to each other. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i haven't lost the key it is simply faulty and i don't care whether it was made to be disabled or not i'm asking if there is a way to disable it...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. There is a simple way to bypass the system. To do this you need a 2200 ohm resistor. Take the small yellow and the small black wires off the passlock sensor, then install the resistor between the yellow and black. Perform THIS relearn and the system will be bypassed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much would the resistor cost and would this also solve the problem if it were due to oxidation of the contact which has been described as the cause of the problem in many forums i've read?
The resistor is about a few cents but you may have to buy a package containing many to get one. This completely eliminates the security sensor in the ignition cylinder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could you provide me with some diagrams that would help please

graphicThere is little needed, but on the ignition cylinder housing there are a group of 3 wires, a yellow, black and white. You can cut the wires and install the resistor between the black and yellow wires on the body side of the wires.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i have to remove the covers and what not from below the steering wheel in order to access these wires or is there a simpler way in the impala?

You will need to remove the trim panels.

Object Number: 519517  Size: SH

• Remove the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block access hole cover.
  • Disengage the left I/P insulator retainers from the lower I/P trim pad.
  • Remove the steering column filler panel bolts.
  • Pull the steering column filler panel rearward to disengage the retainers. Lower the filler panel away from the I/P lower trim panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear compartment release switch.
  • Remove the rear compartment release switch.
  • Remove the steering column filler panel.
  • Object Number: 787418  Size: SH
  • Remove the bracket bolts from the IP driver knee bolster at the IP lower trim panel.
    Object Number: 454278  Size: SH

• Remove the bracket bolts from the IP knee bolster at the instrument carrier. Remove the IP knee bolster bracket
    • Apply the parking brake.
      Object Number: 658401  Size: SH

• Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.
      Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

• If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.
    • Adjust the steering wheel for access.
    • Remove the steering column filler panel. Object Number: 519536  Size: SH

• Remove the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block access hole covers.
      Object Number: 578987  Size: SH

• Remove the screws from the I/P cluster trim plate.
    • Starting at the right end of the I/P cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.
    • Continue working around the I/P cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the I/P trim pad.
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.
    • Remove the I/P cluster trim plate.
    • Remove the ignition switch bolts.
    • Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.
    • Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
    • Depress the retainer to release the transaxle park/lock cable. Remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch by pulling on the cable.

Important: You cannot remove the PasslockTM electrical connector until the lock cylinder is removed.

• Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    okay thanks and i have been reading online that i have to measure the resistance first and there could be a different resistor are you sure that the 2200 resistor will work no matter what?
    No, just use the 2200 ohm resistor and all will be good after the relearn.
    GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    okay thank you for your time and everything