quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive experience
17227360

please advise how to replace the intermediate steering shaft

please advise how to replace the intermediate steering shaft on a 2005 malibu.if not too difficult i would like to do.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

here is the procedure as outlined in the service manual.

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.

WARNING

Secure the steering wheel utilizing a strap to prevent rotation. Locking of the steering column will prevent damage and a possible malfunction of the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

4. Raise and support the vehicle.

5. Remove the left front tire.

6. Remove the intermediate shaft to steering gear pinch bolt. Discard the bolt.

7. Disconnect the intermediate shaft from the steering gear.

Intermediate shaft at steering gear and pinch bolt

8. Lower the vehicle.

9. Remove the intermediate shaft pinch bolt at the steering column shaft. Discard the pinch bolt.

Intermediate shaft at steering column and pinch bolt

10. Slide the intermediate shaft off the steering column shaft.

11. To unseat the intermediate shaft seal from the dash, squeeze the 4 tabs on the seal individually, then pull towards the inside of the vehicle.

12. Remove the intermediate shaft and seal from the vehicle.

Intermediate shaft and seal removal

Intermediate shaft and seal removal

To install:

1. Install the intermediate shaft and seal through the front of dash.

NOTE

To ensure seal is properly seated, inspect the 4 tabs on the seal from the engine side of the seal. Do NOT twist or squeeze the seal during installation.

2. Seat the intermediate shaft seal by pushing forward from the inside of the vehicle, until all four tabs of the seal are fully seated.

3. Connect the new intermediate shaft to the steering column shaft.

4. Install the new steering column pinch bolt to the intermediate shaft as follows:

• For electronic power steering, tighten the bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).

• For hydraulic power steering, tighten the bolt to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm).

5. Connect the intermediate shaft to the steering gear shaft.

6. Install the new steering gear pinch bolt to the intermediate shaft. Tighten pinch bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).

7. Install the left front wheel.

8. Enable SIR system.

9. Connect the negative battery cable.

quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+ years automotive experience