GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500: the front axle bearing..CV..clunk

I need to replace the front axle bearing on my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500. It's 4WD. The CV half shaft is makeing a clunk, so it's coming out also. I used to work in a garage, but haven't done much repair lately.

Will I.... need any special tools?
....Run into a problem with the wheel speed sensor or encoder ring?
....Have a problem getting parts? Auto Zone locally not stocking the CV half shaft or bearing, must "special order" and the lock nut is "unavailable"
I had the caliper and rotor off, took the dust cap off. Examined the through bolts in the spindle. Is the axle bearing a press fit or will I be able to draw the race out and inner ring off with a puller?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 4 years ago.
Hello! Which bearing exactly are you trying to replace? I assume you are talking about the wheel bearing, which is what the wheel/rotor attach to and the end of the axle goes through. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is. The is the drivers side of a 4WD, so the CV half shaft splined spindle end is coming through the bearing and secured with a lock nut
The good news is, there is no pressing or bearing races to deal with. The Bearing is a sealed unit and comes as a "hub" assembly, complete with speed sensor. It is also not requried to replace the nut.

the bad news (maybe!) is if it is rusty, it can be tricky to remove.

The hub bolts in from the back of the spindle with three bolts, usually having a 15mm (sometimes 13mm) bolt head. Once you remove the caliper, caliper bracket and rotor, remove the three bolts from the back side, remove the spindle nut (usually a 36mm, rarely a 34mm) and carefully tap the end of the axle shaft to seperate it from the hub (with won't push all the way through, you will have to pull the hub off it, unless you decide to take the axle all the way out first).
You may need to hit the hub flange with a hammer to seperate it from the spindle, it is probably rusted in there, but if the three bolts from the backside are removed, it should come out.
Experience: GM

Here is an illustration that may help:

graphic