Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

10 blazer: vortec..a shot of starter fluid..runs ok

1999 s-10 blazer 4.3 vortec will not start with out a shot of starter fluid. after starting runs ok. will start up a 2nd time like it should. lrt it set 30 min. have to spary it again. no codes show up. replaced fuel pump,38 psi before 62 after. tryed coolant temp sensor ,tps map mass air flow. what can it be.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

check the fuel presure while you are tuning the starter when it wont start...it still sounds as if you are low on presure..these must have no less the 60psi,ven while you are turning the starter..it is common to get a bad new pump

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have 60 psi like i stated and pump is running while it is starting

ok

i would think your spider [injector body ] is bad if this is the case..you may need to clean it

thanks

Fuel Meter Body Cleaning

CLEANING AND INSPECTION

Removing the fuel meter body assembly from the engine requires removing the top portion of the intake manifold, called the upper manifold assembly and throttle body.

An 8 digit part identification number is XXXXX a mylar label affixed to one of the fuel meter body assemblies. Refer to this number if servicing or part replacement is required.

NOTICE: Do not use a cleaner which contains methyl ethyl ketone. This extremely strong solvent is not necessary for this type of cleaning. Use a carburetor cleaner in order to remove deposits. Refer to the package instructions on the use of the product.

NOTICE: Cover the injector sockets in order to prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the open fuel passages.

• Before removal, the fuel meter body assembly may be cleaned with a spray type engine cleaner, GM X-30A or the equivalent.
  • Follow the package instructions.
  • Do not soak fuel meter body assemblies in liquid cleaning solvent.
Fuel Meter Body Assembly Removal and Replacement

CLEANING AND INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: Cover the injector sockets in order to prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the open fuel passages.

An 8-digit part identification number is XXXXX a mylar label affixed to one of the fuel meter body assemblies. Refer to this number if servicing or part replacement is required.

NOTE: Do not use a cleaner which contains methyl ethyl ketone. This extremely strong solvent may damage components and is not necessary for this type of cleaning.

Use a carburetor cleaner in order to remove deposits.

Refer to the instructions provided with the cleaner.

• Follow the package instructions.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Cautions and Notices.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  3. Remove the electrical connector to the fuel meter body.

1. Disconnect the fuel pipe feed and return fittings at the rear of the intake manifold.
  2. Remove the engine fuel pipes that attach to the fuel meter body from the chassis pipes.
  3. Remove the upper manifold assembly. IMPORTANT: When disconnecting the poppet nozzles, remember the sequence in order to ensure correct poppet nozzle placement to each cylinder.

1. Squeeze the poppet nozzle locking tabs together while lifting the nozzle out of the casting socket.

1. Remove the fuel meter body from the bracket by releasing the lock tabs on the bracket.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Install the fuel meter body retaining bracket in the intake manifold. Tighten Tighten the attaching bolts to 10.0 N.m (88 lb in) . CAUTION: Verify that the poppet nozzles are firmly seated and locked in their casting sockets in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. An unlocked poppet nozzle could work loose from its socket thus resulting in a fuel leak.

1. Push the fuel meter body into the bracket. Make sure all of the tabs are locked into place. IMPORTANT: The fuel meter body assemblies are numbered to indicate poppet nozzle order.
  2. Push the poppet nozzles into the casting sockets.
  3. Inspect the poppet nozzles in order to ensure they are firmly seated and locked in the casting sockets.

1. Install the upper manifold assembly. Connect the upper manifold electrical connector.

1. Install the new O-ring seal on the engine fuel feed and the return pipes. Tighten Tighten the engine fuel pipe retainer nuts to the fuel meter body to 3.0 N.m (27 lb in) .
  2. Install the fuel feed and the return hoses to the engine fuel pipes. Tighten Tighten the fuel pipe nuts to 30.0 N.m (22 lb ft) .
  3. Connect the negative battery cable.
8.1.Turn ON the ignition switch for 2 seconds .
8.2.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds .
8.3.Turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
8.4.Check for fuel leaks.
8.5.Tighten the fuel filler cap.