Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience

2003 Chevy Malibu: both Crankshaft sensors..cam sensor..V6..scan-tool

Customer Question

What's the procedure for changing both Crankshaft sensors as well as the cam sensor for a 2003 Chevy Malibu with a 3.1L V6? Also, what would the re-learn procedure be without a scan-tool?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
HI and thanks for your question! Here is the information you asked for. The only way to relearn the crank shaft sensor is to command it with a scan tool. The motor will run when you are done. Then just drive it down to your local shop an have them relearn it for you. Call you local part store to see if they can do it. They may charge you a 1/2 hour labor. I will send you a few answers to get you the information you asked for. Ken
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement (7x)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 15969  Size: SH

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Remove the right tire and wheel. Turn steering wheel fully to the left.
  4. Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the attaching bolt/screw.
  6. Remove the sensor from engine.
  7. Inspect for wear, cracks, or leakage if the sensor is not being replaced.

Installation Procedure

1. Lubricate the O-ring with clean engine oil before installation and replace if damaged.
    Object Number: 15969  Size: SH

2. Install the sensor to the block.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the CKP sensor attaching bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 11 N·m (97 lb in).

4. Connect the sensor electrical connector.
  5. Install the right tire and wheel.Lower the vehicle.
  6. Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement (24x)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 14714  Size: SH

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Raise the vehicle on hoist. Remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer. Note the routing of sensor harness before removal.
  3. Remove the harness retaining clip with bolt.
  5. Remove the sensor bolts (4).
  6. Remove the sensor.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 14714  Size: SH

1. Install the 24X crankshaft position sensor (1) with bolts (4) and route harness as noted during removal.

2. Install the harness retaining clip (3) with bolt (4).

Tighten
    Tighten the CKP sensor bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

3. Connect the sensor electrical connector.
  4. Install the balancer on the crankshaft. Lower vehicle.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Crankshaft Balancer Replacement

Tools Required

J 24420-C Harmonic Balancer Puller
J 29113 Crankshaft Balancer Installer

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 54672  Size: SH

Notice: The inertial weight section of the balancer is assembled to the hub with a rubber type material. The correct removal procedure must be followed or movement of the inertial weight section of the hub will destroy the tuning of the balancer.

1. Remove the drive belt.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. Remove the right front tire and wheel. Remove the right front fender liner. Remove the flywheel inspection cover.
  3. Remove the balancer retaining bolt. Use an assistant to keep the flywheel from turning.
  4. Install J 24420-C on the balancer.
  5. Turn the puller screw.
  6. Remove the balancer.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 54672  Size: SH

1. Coat the front cover seal contact area with engine oil.
  2. Apply sealant to the crankshaft key. Apply sealant to the crankshaft keyway. Use RTV sealant GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor the equivalent.
  3. Place the balancer into position over the key in the crankshaft.
  4. Install J 29113 onto the crankshaft.
  5. Pull the balancer into position.
  6. Remove J 29113 from the balancer.

7. Install the balancer retaining bolt. Use an assistant to keep the flywheel from turning.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 70 N·m (52 lb ft) plus and additional 72 degrees.

8. Install the flywheel inspection cover.
  9. Install the right front fender liner. Install the right tire and wheel. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Install the drive belt. Perform the crankshaft position learn variation procedure.©
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

That should help you get those sensor replaced. Best to do these on a cold motor.Ken

Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help!!
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Have a great day. Ken Thank You!!!