GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM
6758627

How do i program a keyless entry remote for a 2008 chevy silverado

Customer Question

how do i program a keyless entry remote for a 2008 chevy silverado
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

lets give this a try

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Transmitter Programming

IMPORTANT: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed.

Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

You may program up to 4 transmitters, using either of the two following procedures:

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
  2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
  3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.
  4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
  5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
  6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
  7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
  9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 2 - Scan Tool Required)
  1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
  3. Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
  4. Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
  5. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Transmitter Synchronization
  • Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the remote keyless entry system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) .
  • The RCDLR will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.
  • The panic button should still operate normally when the system is out of synchronization.
  • Resynchronization may be necessary under the following conditions:
  • The battery in the transmitter is very weak.
  • The battery in the transmitter was replaced.
  • The battery in the vehicle has been in a low or no charge condition for an extended period of time.
  • In order to resynchronize the transmitter with the RCDLR, perform the following steps:
  1. Stand within 1.5 meters (5 ft) from the vehicle.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds . The door locks should cycle in order to confirm resynchronization
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a scan tool or I would have it done already. This method did not work!
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.

try the ist step of the procedure no tool required

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
  9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation. Transmitter Programming
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ive tried this method alresady, the FOB's I have are not from this vehicle, should it matter?
are they gm fobs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

when i try to put the truck into program mode with the key on/off, nothing happens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok we have tried this method 2 times with zero success. The doors dont lock after cycling the ignition. where do we go from here. everyone seems to have the same directions and we are actually car guys that I would consider fairly sharp! HELP
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 5 years ago.

Hello! I am sorry the other two experts could not assist you. I work on these vehicles on a regular basis, perhaps I can shed some light for you.

Starting in 2007, the Transmitters can be programmed through the Driver Information Center (DIC). However, starting in 2008, they started to take that feature away and only make it available with the factory Scantool.

To see if you can still do it through the DIC, locate the 4 DIC buttons

graphic

Turn the ignition key "ON"

Press the "I" button (second one down) and scroll through until you find "Relearn Remote Key" and then press and hold the "Check" button (bottom button) until it says "Active" in the DIC

Then, Press and hold "Lock" and "Unlock" on the transmitter until you hear a beep and then press and hold the same buttons on the next transmitter until you hear a beep and do the same for any other transmitters.

Once done, simply turn the ignition key off to end the programming.