Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2004 Chevy: 2 sets of rear brakes..000 mi..front pads..master cylinder

2004 Chevy Avalanche, I've gone through 2 sets of rear brakes in less than 10,000 mi, with almost NO wear on the front pads.
Should I be looking at the master cylinder, or porportion valve, or ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

This vehicle does not utilize a proportioning valve. This vehicle is equipped with a dynamic rear proportioning (DRP), which is a control system that enhances the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system. The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the electronic brake control module (EBCM). The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.

Knowing this vehicle I would first recommend that you completely bleed the front blakes to verify that there are no signs of air pockets. I would also examine closey the rear calipers to verify that they are fully releasing and that the slides are not corroded. If the calipers may be hanging, you would note more wear on one of the outer or inner brake pads. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As part of an anual service procedure I have flushed and bled the system and can assure that there is no air in the system, I have also inspected the operation of the rear calipers and they seem to be working properly, (that is what I suspected at the last rear pad change)
So, are you saying that the problem lies with the EBCM?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

The EBCM is simply the electronic part of the abs. The control valve below the ebcm could certainly be a factor in this problem. Here is an illustration. Note #3

graphic

There is some testing that can be done to determine if this problem is being cause by the valve assembly itself, but you will need a scan tool to command certain operations of the valve assembly. Without that testing being done it will be next to impossible to verify if this problem is regarding the master cylinder or the valve. Honestly the master cylinder would be a cost effective item to try before getting yourself behind the labor and price of use of a class 2 scan tool. I am not into throwing parts at a vehicle, but I would figure you could find a master cylinder for less than what is going to cost for a repair facility to do this testing. If you have access to a class 2 scan tool that can command ABS operations, let me know and I can get you info on this testing.

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION