Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years

How to replace brake switch on 1999 tahoe

how to replace brake switch on 1999 tahoe
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Are you looking to replace the switch on the brake pedal?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes are there more
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

No - that is the only switch. I just wanted to verify that is what we are working with.

Let me grab the instructions and send the on to you.

Back soon, Greg A.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

Here are the instructions.

Stop Lamp Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution

Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints.

graphic
  3. Remove the pushrod retainer from the brake pedal pin. Use snap ring pliers.
  4. Unsnap the stoplamp switch from the pushrod.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the stoplamp switch.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Connect the electrical connector to the stoplamp switch.
  2. Snap the stoplamp switch onto the pushrod.
  3. Install a new pushrod retainer on the brake pedal pin. Use an 11 mm (7/16 in) socket in order to push a new clip onto the pin.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.
  5. Enable the SIR. Refer to Enabling the SIR in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints.

.

Let me see if I can get the instructions for disabling & enabling the SIR.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
getting to the switch is the problem
Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

Here are the procedures to disable & enable the SIR system.

Disabling the SIR System

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

Important

With the AIR BAG Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the RUN position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

4. Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the IP fuse block.

graphic
  5. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (1) from the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  6. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector (2) located at the base of the steering column.

graphic
  7. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (2) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located near the base of the steering column.
  8. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector (1) located near the base of the steering column.

.

Enabling the SIR System

1. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

graphic
  2. Connect the passenger yellow 2-way connector (1) located near the base of the steering column.
  3. Install the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (2) to the passenger yellow 2-way connector located near the base of the steering column.

graphic
  4. Connect the driver yellow 2-way connector (2) located at the base of the steering column.
  5. Install the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (1) to the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  6. Install the AIR BAG Fuse to the IP fuse block.
  7. Staying well away from the air bags, turn ON the ignition.
    1. The AIR BAG warning lamp will flash 7 times.
    2. The AIR BAG warning lamp will then turn OFF.
  8. Perform the SIR Diagnostic System Check if the AIR BAG warning lamp does not operate as described.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, XXXXX

Expert:  Greg A replied 4 years ago.

I know getting in there is hard but it can be done.

You might want to remove an insulator panel or two, to get more space.

Thanks

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years