Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

what transmission does a 1994 Z71 ext cab truck have 4L60E

what transmission does a 1994 Z71 ext cab truck have? 4L60E or 700R4
700 R 4
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does this transmission look like the 4L60E and if not how can identify the one I have. When I look it up on the net it says I have 4L60E but im looking for one to replace the one I have because it wont shift they have both foe sale. The 700R4 are less available
Actually 94 was the year they renamed the 700R4 - 4L60. But unless you have an electronic speed sensor instead of a speedo drive it is not a 4L60E. You are correct that the 700R4/4L60 will be harder to find than the 4L60E since the E version is newer. So do you have a speed sensor or a gear drive speedo?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Im not sure and at the moment I dont remember if I seen a cable for the speedometer. That's what distinguish them apart correct one has a cable and the other has a harness. I do remebr I only seen I think 5 wires going to 2 plugs. One probably to backup and other for temp.

Okay, you can also look for a Throttle Valve (TV) cable. This runs from the throttle down through the case and into the valve body. If it has that it is not electronic. One other thing to note is if you do have the E trans it should be a one piece case, this was made until 1996. After that they had a 2 piece case (removable bellhousing) and are not easily compatible with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
due to the rain I havent had a chance to look for the items you told me about but I do have another question? Will any 700R4 4X4 trans work in my 94 Z71 4X4
No, some will not have the correct bellhousing. Has to be a Chevy based engine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok chevy based engine, is there a year to year I should be looking for. I see alot of 700r4's from the 80's and does or should it have to have come of a 350 or 5.7 ltr motor

thanks

If I remember correctly the older 700s had less clutch discs in some, newer will also have all the updates from over the years, unless you can really save some cash, get a newer one.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
92 chevy k1500 4x4 would work.
Yup it should.