Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

how to change a TCC solenoid for a 2003 malibu.. detailed pics

how to change a TCC solenoid for a 2003 malibu.. detailed pics and steps would be appreciated if possible
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this job will involve pulling out the passenger axle and then removing the trans side cover to access the valve body. I will send axle info next

Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulation (TCC PWM) Solenoid Replacement

Replacement Procedure

Important:Retainer clips hold in each of the valve line-ups. Use a small screwdriver in order to remove the retainer clips. Be careful not to score the valve body when removing the retainer clips and valves. Before removing the valve line-ups, inspect each valve line-up for freedom of movement.
  1. Remove the transmission side cover.

1. Remove the TCC solenoid retainer clip (304), the TCC solenoid (335), with two O-rings (337, 338), and screen the TCC regulated apply valve (339) and the spring (340).

Installation Procedure

1. Install the spring (340), the TCC regulated apply valve (339), the TCC solenoid (335) with. two O-rings (337 and 338) and screen, and the TCC solenoid retainer clip (304).
  2. Install the transmission side cover.

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Front Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

Tools Required

• J2619-01 Slide Hammer
  • J29794 Axle Shaft Remover Extension
  • J33008-A Axle Shaft Remover
  • J42129 Hub Spindle Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the stabilizer link.

1. Insert a drift (1) or similar tool into the rotor to prevent the rotor from rotating. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut (2) using a breaker bar.
  2. Disconnect the other tie rod assembly from the knuckle. Important: Be sure that the wheel speed sensor wiring harness is repositioned away from the ball joint after disconnecting the electrical connector from the sensor.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor and reposition the wiring harness away from the ball joint.
  4. Remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
  5. Separate the front wheel drive axle from the front wheel hub using the J42129. The nut can be partially reinstalled to protect the threads. Important: Be sure to bottom out the threads as much as possible while assembling the J2619-01 the J33008-A and the J29794.

1. Assemble the J2619-01 the J33008-A and the J29794.
  2. Use the J2619-0 1, the J33008-A and the J29794 to separate the wheel drive shaft from the transaxle.
  3. Remove the axle shaft from the transaxle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the axle shaft (2) to the transaxle (1).
  2. Verify that the wheel drive shaft is properly engaged:
    • Grasp the inner tripod housing and pull the inner housing outward. Do not pull on the wheel drive axle shaft.
    • The wheel drive shaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.

1. Install the wheel drive shaft (1) to the steering knuckle (2).
  2. Connect the ball joint to the steering knuckle.
  3. Connect the electrical connector to the wheel speed sensor.
  4. Connect the outer tie rod assembly to the steering knuckle. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

This article has been updated with TSB 03-04-18-001.

NEW FRONT DRIVE AXLE NUT
Use the new nut, P/N 10289657, whenever the front drive axle nut is removed. This new nut is a torque prevailing nut and is silver in color. The old nut is black in color and has a sheet metal cage around the nut (shown below). Using the new nut will provide a more consistent clamp load on the wheel bearing and should help prolong the bearing life.

NOTICE: Use the correct tightening specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

New Style Nut

NOTE: The nut shown is a torque prevailing nut and is silver colored.

Tighten the new style nut to 235 Nm (173 lb ft).

Old Style Nut

NOTE: The old style nut shown is black and has a sheet metal cage around the nut.

The old style nut torque was 385 Nm (284 lb ft).

IMPORTANT: Some front wheel hub kits may have the old style nut included in the kit. Discard the old nut and use the new nut, P/N 10289657.

1. Install the wheel drive shaft nut (3) to the axle shaft. Tighten the new style nut to 235 Nm (173 lb ft).
  2. Connect the stabilizer shaft link.
  3. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Inspect the transaxle fluid level.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was told that the TCC solenoid is inside the tranny for the 2003 malibu which is the reason they want to drop the tranny... is that correct? from what i understood in your post that it does not involve dropping the transmission at all..

in the process of taking the axle off to get to the tranny.. would i have to replace any parts?? or would they all go back on?

also, the images you posted, are they for the 2003 malibu?? or are they generic images??

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

My error sorry. The side cover will not come off with trans in the car. Some of them you can sneak out but this one requires pulling trans. the problem on my end is all steps involved are locted in several different places on the program. yes, 100%% the info is provided by Alldata, and is manufacturer repair info. i have copied the full page so you can see at the top./

the labor time is posted as well by the book. for the solenoid

2003 Chevrolet Malibu V6-3.1L VIN J

Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Actuators and Solenoids - Transmission and Drivetrain Actuators and Solenoids - A/T Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Labor Times
Labor Times
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid
Replace
4T40EB5.68.0Notes
Does Not Include Time To Adjust Toe.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. if the trans is going to be pulled to get the side panel off, is there still need to remove the axles and wheel assembly?

2. will pulling the tranny and opening the side cover affect the gears in any way?? is there a need to do a rebuild or will the cover come off and solenoid be changed without the need to change anything else??

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Let me compile more info for you. I will get info to you shortly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok take your time.

some more information i think you might want to know. I had the transmission checked by the dealer here and they said the transmission on its own was ok. they did not even pick up the TCC stuck on code. even though that was the reason i took the car in to get checked..

it is very important for me to know what ramification on the tranny i will face if i pull it just to change the solenoid and how much of the tranny will be taken apart. also if you can provide me diagrams for the tranny itself and how the panel/cover will be taken off, etc. i would be grateful

furthermore, due to time difference between where i am and the states its night time here and so im in no hurry.. i will have to check back on whatever you reply in about 7 hours...i hope that is ok with you . thanks in advance

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions for pulling the trans. The axles will come out so that will not be an issue. Once trans is out, the side cover will unbolt and the the valve body will be in front of you. Thew solenoid clips ito side of valve body per prior directions. There is also an exploded diaghram in which you are doing 1-8 in the pic with 8 being the valve body which hold solenoid.

graphic

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the air inlet duct hose from the intake plenum.
  3. Install the engine support fixture.
  4. Disconnect the transaxle wiring harness from the, transaxle and the PNP switch.

1. Remove the upper transmission to engine bolts and stud.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the front wheel and tire assemblies.
  4. Remove the left front fender liner.
  5. Remove the Frame Replacement.

1. Remove the 2 bolts from the transmission brace.

1. Disconnect the shift cable from the shift linkage.
  2. Disconnect the cable from the bracket.

1. Remove the flywheel inspection cover.
  2. Remove the starter.
  3. Mark the relationship of the flywheel to the torque converter for reassembly.

1. Remove the torque converter to flywheel bolts.
  2. Remove the transmission cooler lines by removing the nut holding the bracket to the transaxle case.
  3. Disconnect the VSS wiring harness from the sensor.
  4. Disconnect the wheel drive shafts from the transaxle.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Remove the body to transmission mount bolts.
  7. Lower the transmission with the engine support fixture enough to remove the transmission.:
  8. Raise the vehicle.
  9. Support the transmission with a suitable jack.

1. Remove the transaxle to engine nut.
  2. Separate the engine and the transaxle.
  3. Remove the transaxle from the vehicle.
  4. Remove the PNP switch.
  5. Remove the shifter cable bracket.
  6. Remove the lower transmission to engine stud.
  7. Remove the transmission mount.
  8. Flush the transmission cooler and the lines with the J 35944-A, or equivalent, whenever the transmission has been removed for overhaul or replacement. Installation Procedure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the images are not showing for me.

i would like to make one last clarification before accepting the answer..

in pulling the trans and changing the solenoid will the whole tranny be opened up and will any of the gears or any other part for that matter be affected? in other words is it possible to minimize the breaking down of the tranny to change the solenoid and put it back together avoiding a complete rebuild.?

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

The pix time out after awhile. No, once trans in front of you, the side cover will come off exposing the valve body in which the solenoid clips into. You will need the side cover gasket. You will only be doing steps 1-7 in pic below with 8 being the valve body that holds the solenoid. All the gearing etc is much farther inside

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

final question.. i just got back from the workshop..

is it possible that i will have to change the clutch?? or does the error only involve the solenoid??

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Very rarely is the clutch bad. it is buitl into the converter, 99% solenoid failure
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist