Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician
12642649

2001 chevy tracker: 4 wheel drive, 6cyl..Put new alternator

! have a 2001 chevy tracker-XXXXX 6cyl,2.5 liter. Quit charging. Put new alternator on, still not charging. Took it back off had checked. showed good. Cant find any fuses inside tracker. checked fuses under hood all show good. please put me in a good direction.
Hello <a href="http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=22629723&FID=26"Customer

Check the IG fuse in the junction block on the inside of the vehicle.
Also make sure you have power on the big wire on the back of the alternator. There is a 80 amp fuse that runs that circuit that can blow if the alternator fails. You can put a test light or a volt meter on the stud where the big wire attaches to the alternator. You should have power at all time. I like to check it with the engine off.
Check that and let me know and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
checked wire. It is good at alt.. where is the IG fuses at inside tracker?
It is in the junction block which is Above the lower left door hinge trim panel. Or you can check for power with the key on on the black wire with the white stripe at the alternator connector. should have power with the key on.
Does the battery light come on when turn key on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could not find 80 amp fuses in left door hinge trim panel. all fuses were good. Batttery light does come on.
The 80 amp is in the fuse box under the hood. The IG fuse is a 20 amp fuse inside. If you have voltage on the big wire on back of the alternator, the 80 amp fuse is ok and if the battery light is on, the IG fuse is ok also.

Does the battery light come on while driving? or on all the time?
Do you have a voltmeter? What is the battery volts when the key is off and when its running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could you please call me at 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX. my name is howard.
Sorry,
it blocks out #'s and we are only allowed to contact through this web site.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
battery is low we have a jumper box on it. when we remove it , it goes dead. cant drive it unless it is charged up. have alt-tester, and volt meter.just showes 12 volts from jump box when removed shoes 8 volts.
Is the battery light on while the engine is running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes.
OK I am assuming the belt is on and tight.

Check for voltage on the black wire with the white stripe on the connector that plugs into the alternator. unplug it and Check it with the key on. Should be the same as the battery voltage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the voltage on the black wire is the same.
If you have voltage on the black wire with the white stripe and if you have voltage on the big wire going to the alternator and the battery light is on, The alternator is at fault. Have them warranty you an alternator out. There is nothing else in the system if those things check ok.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we thank you, XXXXX XXXXX time and effort. we think we found the 80 amp fuses. we think it is half blown. go to get a new one. had jump box on battery 12 volts on battery only 7 at alt. going to try the fuses if workes will send money.
OK

CHeck the connections to make sure they are clean and tight.