Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

How do you remove an 2002 impala ignition switch from the dash

Customer Question

How do you remove an 2002 impala ignition switch from the dash and then remove the key lock from the switch
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. I am going to send you the information you asked for. It may come in a few posts. Ken

Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement (Impala)

Removal Procedure

1. Apply the parking brake.
    Object Number: 658401  Size: SH

2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

3. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.
  4. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
    Object Number: 519536  Size: SH

5. Remove the access covers from the right and the left instrument panel (IP) fuse block, as required.
    Object Number: 578987  Size: SH

6. Remove the screws from the IP cluster trim plate.
  7. Starting at the right end of the IP cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.
  8. Continue working around the IP cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the IP trim pad.
  9. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.
  10. Remove the IP cluster trim plate.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 578987  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Position the IP cluster trim plate to the IP trim pad.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the hazard switch and to the traction control switch, if equipped.
  3. Press the IP cluster trim plate into the IP trim pad until the retainers are fully seated.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the IP cluster trim plate screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Object Number: 519536  Size: SH
  5. Install the access covers to the right and the left IP fuse block, as required.
    Object Number: 658402  Size: SH
  6. Position the bezel retainers to the tabs on the ignition switch cylinder.
    Object Number: 658399  Size: SH
  7. Install the bezel to the ignition switch cylinder pressing into place until fully seated.
    Object Number: 678301  Size: SH

8. Return the steering wheel to the original position.
  9. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to Park and remove the key from the ignition switch cylinder.
  10. Release the parking brake.

.

Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Perform the body control module (BCM) theft deterrent relearn procedure whenever you replace the ignition switch lock cylinder.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

2. Insert the key and turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
  3. Using a small curved tool or an L-shaped hex wrench, depress and hold the detent on the ignition lock cylinder. Access the detent by placing the tool through the I/P opening to the right of the ignition switch. If you cannot locate the detent with the tool, lower the ignition switch away from the I/P. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Using the key as an aid, pull to remove the lock cylinder from the switch.
  5. Remove the key from the lock cylinder.
  6. If the cylinder does not rotate or is seized, follow the procedure in the ignition switch replacement.Installation Procedure

7. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Code the ignition lock cylinder, if necessary. Insert the key and turn the lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.
  9. Position the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. Press the cylinder into place. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
  10. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
  11. Install the I/P cluster trim plate. Connect the negative battery cable. If you installed a new lock cylinder, perform the BCM theft deterrent relearn procedure. .
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
I don't pull out the eletricial part of the switch if I am just replacing the cylinder. Ken
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Programming Replacement PasslockTM Sensor, BCM, or PCM

Important:

The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures.
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn PasslockTM sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password XXXXX the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX upon receipt of a password XXXXX Once a password XXXXX is received, and a password XXXXX XXXXX a learn procedure must be performed to change this password XXXXX A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password XXXXX will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions

Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:

PasslockTM Sensor
BCM
PCM

Learn Procedures

There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

Tech 2
Techline terminal with current SPS (Service Programming System) software
  1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
  2. Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
  4. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  7. Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
  8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  9. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
  10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  11. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
  12. With the Tech 2 (scan tool), clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
I am going to signing off for the day, let me know if you need more onfo. Thank You Ken