goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

Cavalier: 2.2l..power up to the relay and the 30 amp fuse in the hood

hi i got po480 code on my cavalier 1997 2.2l. I got power up to the relay and the 30 amp fuse in the hood. No power to the fan connector or to the ect can you help me please thx erick
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome. I take the cooling fan is not coming on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeh sorry about that yes the fan doesnt go on but works if i jump wire it thx

no problem, this is a pretty simple circuit. the ect wont have any voltages on it. it is only a resistor that sends info to the power control module for engine temp. the cooling fan works like this.

The PCM controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay.

The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:

The engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.
The A/C clutch requested.
The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH.

the most common problem is just the coolant fan relay goes bad. the relay has two power feeds, both from the same 30 amp fuse you checked. then the pcm will ground dark green wire to the relay, then the relay sends power to the lt blue wire for the fan motor.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i switch the heather relay with the coolant fan relay and the heather still works is it because the fan relay is good or it still can be faulty thx.

as long both of the part numbers are the same on the relays, this was a very good test. nice job. this means the relay is good. so you are down to either a wiring issue or a pcm problem. most of the time it turns out to be a wiring issues. not too many pcm failures. using the wiring diagram i posted, you wil need to check the wires making sure none of them are broken or shorted or open

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thx for all your help my last question and i will accept ,if i have voltage to the relay and the fuse i should start by where and going to where thx again sir.

the pcm is mounted in behind the right inner fender well down by the rad. look for the dark green wire being broke somewhere between the pcm and relay. you can unplug the pcm and check the green wire, which is connector 2 pin number 54, if you gound this wire with the key on, you should feel the relay click and the fan should come on. i have seen this green wire break around where the harness runs below the rad.

graphic

Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified