Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

97 k1500 Silverado and think it is in limp in mode.

I have a '97 k1500 Silverado and think it is in limp in mode. It was low on fluids. We pulled the pan ( no debris in pan) and changed the filter. It still is slipping out of drive. Had no problems with transmission prior to a broken rusty line, which was since replaced. What do you do to reset the computer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

hi

does it shift gears at all?does it have 1st and 2nd?what does it do when time to go to 3rd?tell me all you can

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It runs fine without any slippage in first and second gear. If put in drive or third it begins to slip out of gear almost immediately. I can see the tach move and feel it. I'm hoping that this limp in mode has engaged. No proiblems prior which is why I'm hoping for this limp in mode.

hi

i am sorry,but this sisnt limp mode..if it is juming out of 3rd ..first check the fluid to make sure it is full..but it sounds as if the 3-4 clutch hub is either burnt or a seal is bad on the 3-4 piston...this meens the trans will need to be rebuilt,sorry

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP