Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
14582819

Blazer: transfer case..dash board..the hood on the drivers side

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chev, blazer 4wheel drive, lately it keep blowing the fuse for the transfer case, the lite goes out on the transfer case switch on the dash board and i can't change from 2 wheel toXXXXX the fuse that blows is in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Is the fuse you keep blowing the ATC 20 Amp Fuse?

Does the fuse blow as soon as you put a new one in, does it blow when you try to put the vehicle inXXXXX or just blow randomly?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, its the ATC 20 AMP fuse, it blow within about 30 seconds after i start the car
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Go to the instrument fuse box and remove the 4WD 10 apm fuse.

No replace the ATC 20 Amp fuse and turn the ignition on, see if the ATC fuse Blows again, and let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i removed the 4WD 10 amp fuse, started the car the ATC 20 amp didn't blow
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Next step will be to unplug the Encoder Motor on the tranfer case, put both fuse back in, and see if the ATC fuse blows.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did as you ask, i started the car, the fuse blew as soon as i put it in gear
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
Does your vehicle have the auto 4X4 Button?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

You either have a bad Transfer Case Control Module or a short in the wiring from the Transfer Case Control Module to the Transfer Case Encoder Motor.

If you have a test light or volt meter I can tell you what wire to test.

If you don't then you will need to start from the Tranfer Case Encoder Motor connector and follow the Black, Red and, Tan wires back to the Transfer Case Control Module to see if you can find a short to ground in the wires.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a test lite,
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Go to the Transfer Case Control Module located on the passenger side behind the kick panel and unhook it.

Now connect the test light to battery positive and touch the test light to the Black, Red, and Tan wires at the Transfer Case Encoder Motor connector.

Does the test light light up at any of the wires?

Transfer Case Control Module location

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Matt, i have to get to work, can i get back to you on this tomorrow, how do i get in touch with you, or can you just tell me what to do if i get a light at any of the wires, thanks
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
If the test light lights on any of those wires then you have a short in that wire.

If it does not light let me know tomorrow and we will do a few other test.

just reply back to this post to get me
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience: 10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Matt, its going to be Sunday or Monday before i can do the rest of the test, is that ok with you. Have a great weekend, and thanks for your help.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
That is fine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i tested the wires, except there's 4 wires at the connector, the org, red, and blk of the same diameter, there's no lite, but there' a smaller blk wire also in the connector that lights up, also i didn't see a tan wire, of course my eyes arn't that good anymore so maybe the one that looks blk to me is really tan, hope you understand me
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Some time the wire diagrams may say one color but it is not always correct. As long at you had the connector disconnected at the Transfer Case Control Module, the wire that lit up the test light is the wire you will want to follow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you have any idea where these wires goes, it come thru the firewall from the engine compartment i guess, but how to trace it from there i'm not sure. like i said the three main wires don't lite the light, but the smaller wire lites, is this wire my problem. also was i to disconnect the wiring connector from the modual to test or leave it connected to the modual , i know i'm long here.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

All test are done with the Transfer Case Control module and Encoder motor unplugged.

Which connection do you have at the Encoder motor?

Pic 1

graphic

Pic 2

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have #1, the wire thats lites up the test lite goes into a wiring harness with a great number of other wires, and heads under the dash to God knows where, i'm not sure how to follow it,
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Does you encoder motor have a harness like the one in the picture below?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i need to get somewthing clear i might be screwing up, is the encoder motor located on the tranfer case itself, i've been unplugging the wire connecter there but it only has 2 wires in it, and then there's looks like a cable connector on the end of it, boy i sure hope i haven't been unplugging the wrong connector, your pictures of the connecter awhile back don't really look like what i'm unplugging, the one i unplugged only has 2 wires and its on a unit attached right to the transfer case.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
graphic

Let's make sure we are on the same page. There are three different types of Transfer Cases GM uses on that vehicle and the wire diagrams in gm manual I think are mixed up. In the picture below is the encoder motor. It might no look the exact same as your but at least gives you what we are looking for.

See how many connectors go to it and how many wire to each connector. If possible can you tell me what color the wires are in each connector?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think i've been unplugging the wrong wires, after seeing your picture, i think i found the connector your talking about, it has six wires, i touched each wire with the test light, and nothing lite up, the connector i unplugged plugs into the unit itself, it has a brn, grn, and yellow on one side and blk, blk with whitestrip, and red on the other side. it looks like picture #1 in the image you sent for the shape of plugs except it has 6 wires. Sorry for the screw up.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Leave that connector at the Encoder Motor unplugged and plug the Transfer case Control Module back in. Put both fuse back in and see if the ATC fuse blows again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i put control modual back in, replaced fuse, nothing happened. the fuse is fine.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Keep the Transfer Case Control Module plugged in, now plug the Encoder Motor back in and see if the fuse blows.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, everything is plugged in, started the car, the fuse is good, nothing blew, what changed?
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Either when messing with the wires the bad wire is not gounding out any more or the encoder motor is no shorting out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you think my problem is solved then? if so, Thanks alot for your help, i got your name in my bookmarks, you spent alot of time with me, thanks again
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Try and shift the Transfer Case to see if the fuse will blow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i switched to auto 4 wheel, back to 2 wheel, then to 4 wheel, then back to 2 wheel, everything worked fine, fuse didn't blow
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
Either it is fixed or the problem may come back later at a later time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
praise the Lord, Thanks again for your help, i know you spent more time with me than you should have.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
No problem. Some questions just take longer than others it happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok take care, later